2002 Audi TT

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by rabidpirate, Apr 3, 2007.

1. rabidpirate

rabidpirate New Member

I currently have a 2000 Celica GT and am thinking about replacing it. I'm eyeing a 2002 Audi TT w/ quattro for 16k. I live in CT, so whenever there's the slightest bit of snow i'm stuck. Would it be worth the cost in your opinions?

Thanks in advance (^_^)

2. Jajibaji

Jajibaji Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Quattro works very well in snow, I would recommend however to make sure you have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires.

3. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I am by all means I am not an Audi expert but I believe the system in the TT is not the "true" quattro system that one might find on say A4. I believe it uses a heldix (sp?) type diff which works a hell of a lot worse (from all I've read) than some other systems.

Honestly I just don't think it's any good of a vehicle to begin with. For that amount of cash you might have better options.

4. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

Bangkok, Thailand - Lausanne, Switzerland
    You're right, it's a Haldex system.. when the front wheels loose grip a centrally placed clutch engages the rear tyres.. the benefit of this system is that it keeps fuel consumption down and u only drive 4 wheels when you need it.. it's not as clever as the real Quattro system but works well... I have first hand experience.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

How does a "true" Quattro system work, then? Is it the setup where all four wheels are continuously connected with open differentials and the brakes are used to control wheelspin?

6. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

Bangkok, Thailand - Lausanne, Switzerland
    Yes it's an AWD system, all wheels are always putting power down.. it's a very complex system I don't pretend to understand.. but the power varies constantly between front and rear to give optimum performance and adhesion... the brakes controlling each wheel is probably part of the stability control system..

7. Doodie head

Doodie head i have no legs

a true quattro system has a torsen center differential with a 50:50 split between the front and rear wheels. a haldex is primarily front wheel drive until there is slippage, then power is sent to the rear

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Now, is a Torsen differential a simple limited-slip differential, whereas a Haldex differential has a clutch pack to lock it together? Because that's what it sounds like.

On a related note, what kind of differential is a Quaife? There's one available for my Passat, so I'm curious, but I doubt I'd ever get enough power out of it to spin my 235mm Michelin Pilots.

9. Doodie head

Doodie head i have no legs

10. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede New Member

Basically, with a torsen differential it transfers the power to the wheels that aren't slipping. In the case of my 90 Quattro, it transfers the power up to a 75:25 ratio, depending on how much is needed.

11. ChosenGSR

This is true for the manual, I am pretty sure the automatics have a different split out of the box in higher gears.

12. ChosenGSR

From everything I've read they are far inferior to the "real" quattro or subaru awd systems. I've always wanted one of those Volvo XC wagons but after chatting with a few owners I decided against it, every single one of them says the Haldex AWD is worthless. By the time it engages you've already been spinning your wheels for a while. :dunno:

13. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

just get the A4 this is not worth all the confusion plus
    A4>TT IMO

14. autobahn

autobahn New Member

Torsen is a torque-multiplicative full-time center differential. It's not limited slip because it works under all torque conditions, not just slip. That's what makes Torsen so awesome, it's simple, but yet it works leeto.

A Quaife differential is a lot like a Torsen differential for one axle.

What engine does your passat have? If it's a 2.8, unless you supercharge that, you're not going to have to worry about the Quaife. You can easily make enough HP even with a stock turbo 1.8t tuned to require a limited slip differential or some sort.

15. autobahn

autobahn New Member

untrue.

especially with a remapped haldex computer.

lots of people rip on haldex because they expect it to work exactly like a mechanical or viscous-coupling style AWD... when that's really not what it's built to do.

While the new R32 is kinda meh, the new haldex system on it rocks.