2002-2003 bmw 540i

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Allegro, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Allegro

Allegro Guest

Am about to purchase a used 2003 540i sport 6 speed with 11000 miles. Anyone know of any problems which I should be looking out for with this car?
    Is there any other car that could be recommended at this price ( $45,000 ) which would be better spent?

2. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

2001 m5

it will have more mileage and have a higher cost of maintenance but it'll hold its value much much better and is simply a better car than the 540/6

3. Tof-Corey

Tof-Corey OT Supporter

A guy around here owns both of the cars stated, and he lieks them both for different purposes. Buy anM5 if yu really want performance but need to carry people often. Get a 540i if you want so driver fun and have to haul people around. Both are great cars.

4. curiousgeorgeM3

curiousgeorgeM3 naughty little monkey

english??

5. no parts

no parts BMW Sauber F1 > your life

We don't see alot of mechanical problems with the later production 540's. The most common problems seen on higher mileage 540 V8's are leaking radiators, water pump leaking/failing, valve cover gaskets leaking, rear intake manifold vacuum plate leaking. Other than that you should be ok. You won't really have to worry about repairs though for a while with a 4 yr 50,000 mile warranty. Also you can get your vehicle a certified pre-owned warranty which extends the coverage to 6 yrs 100,000 miles from in service date ( a few less items covered such as trim and radio equipment).

Also with a 03 model you should have full maintenance for 4 yrs 50,000 miles. This plan includes brakes, belts, all oil services/inspection services, brake and coolant flushes, and wiper inserts.