2001 Tahoe looking for some improvement.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Razzbuten, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Razzbuten

Razzbuten OT Supporter

Just picked this up and I am looking to upgrade the tune making ability.

It has the "upgraded" stock system with 6 speakers and a sub. It sounds pretty hollow which makes me think the Sub might not be working properly.

Bottom line is I would prefer to keep the stock head unit so that I don't lose the backseat controls.

It has a tape deck built into the console and I have been told that you can take that out and use the connection there for an Aux input.

Anyway thinking I would like to replace the speakers and sub, maybe throw a small amp to help push them.

My goal is to have it sound good, but not trying to shake the driver next to me.

ANy thoughts?

2. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

I'd look into a new deck. You can still have the backseat control on there if you have it professionally installed, or if you know what you're doing. It's not hard.

Then find out what size your speakers are, tell me, and i'll match you with a good system and a single 10" or 12" sub with a decent amp. You call pull it all off for $500 or less with a new deck.

3. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

u could go with a 5 channel amp to power everything, get 2 sets of components all around, then do a low profile subwoofer setup. something like image dynamics IDQ's....elemental designs Kv2's....tons of stuff out there

4. cassetti

cassetti New Member

'6 speaker' generally means 1 componet set up front and 1 coaxial set in the rear

if i were you i would first start by getting a single 12inch sub - in a custom built (By an enthusiast - find someone local to build one for ya - screw paying some shop $200 to build a box that someone could do for like $50 - which is what i charge for friends

single 12inch sub - with 200 or 300 true watts - tune it to 40 hz - and enjoy

if thats not enough - i would suggest you get a decent set of componets for the front stage and send them 50 to 60 watts each

increasing the wattage generally can improve the sound of the system - not just the volume - but also the headroom

i would say avoid all but the highestend 5 channel amps - because the power suppy to 5 channel amps of most of them is not good - 1 power supply for everything? so you are tellin me that you expect 12 volts with maybe at most 120 amps on a single line to be playing equal to all speakers? nope - when that 5th channel that is used for a sub is whammin away - it is drawing power - more power than is given to the other speakers - so therefor - when the bass hits- the other speakers would not be getting as much wattage. Or when say a note is being played on the right channel - and the sub is blaring - the left channel will be all alone - powerless.

i run a 4 channel amp - if i were to do it right - i'd rather be running two 2channel amps. and if i really wanted to go all out - i would rather be running two dual-mono amps that have 2 channels with independant power supply's - thats the best way to do it.

but yeah - who's getting technical lol

get a 12inch sub - port it - send it 300 watts - tuned to 40 hz - you will be fine with your stock headunit - i ran my stock with a system for a lil while - it was fine enough for the average person

5. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

:ugh:

6. cassetti

cassetti New Member

we are talkin about someone who wanted a little improvement on the lowend not all out bass.......

yes 300 may be alot for some people.....

lol - i got 1000 with dual 15's in mine......

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would strongly recommend against a ported enclosure.

8. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

i was :ugh: mostly at the 40hz tuning, and at the vaugeness of the statement

9. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

u dont know what youre tallking about

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, that must be it :ugh:

11. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

why would u strongly recommend against a ported enclosure?

12. cassetti

cassetti New Member

he is recommending against a ported enclosture because of the fact that they are unstable below the tuning frequency.

that or he has never heard what a ported box can do.

I said tuned to 40 hz because it allows for a much shorter port, meaning smaller box needed - meaning that he can have a bigger box and get a bigger boost to the bass in that region.

i suggested ported also because it is smooth and will blend in mainly with his stock stereo much better than a sealed.

oh - and i also suggested 40 hz because a chevy stock stereo cd player generally tends to have a drop in the bass below 45 hz - meaning tuneing a sub low in frequency would not be of any benifit to the user.

but you wouldn't know that unless you ran with a stock chevy cd player and experimented with porting 12 inch subs with 1500 watts at 30 hz and 40 hz, and lowering wattage and whatnot.

300 watts may have been a bit of an overestimate - find a good quality 200 watt amp, and you will be golden.

but what do i know lol - i am just a basshead. (note - i DO run sealed in my blazer - and am a FAN of sealed in some situations in vehicles, however - my subs have an FS of 19hz, and box designed to allow for lowest f3 possible.)

13. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Wtf, you guys are getting way too technical, I doubt this guy has any idea what you're even talking about. :ugh:

Razzbuten, how much are you looking to spend? What kind of music are you going to be listening to?

You can keep the factory headunit if you want. Potential sound quality will be reduced a bit compared to going with an aftermarket headunit, but it won't sound terrible. I installed a system in a friend's Chevy pickup using the original h/u and it wasn't half bad for the average person.

For an improvement in overall sound quality, I'd keep things simple and just invest in a few quality pieces: 1) a good set of speakers up front, preferably components (midrange and tweeter are mouted separately). 2) one mid-priced 10" or 12" subwoofer in a *sealed* box for the best sound quality. and 3) a quality four channel amp with around 100 watts per channel (or more) to power everything.

If you went with that design, you could easily get some pretty nice equipment for under $500, not including install costs (wiring, and labor if you pay a shop to do it).

14. Razzbuten

Razzbuten OT Supporter

KERPAL,

THANKS for realizing I was lost for the most part. There was a day when my Punch 45 and a pre-built box of 12"'s was enough to be able to stay in a car audiop conversation. Now its gone so far past me I am lost with all the little ins and outs.

Price is subjective. I went to CarToys and was told I was going to drop $2200 - $2800. Was in NO WAY interested in that. I would say I prefer paying as little as possible, to obtain reasonable sound.

The supposedly built in sub seems to do nothing. I don't want a large box in the back, but am willing to lose some space to give it the room needed.

My end result, I would like a decent interior sound, enough Bass to make sure I am hearing my music and my beat instead of the cholohead next to me trying to impress the world.

I tend to listen to Mostly Rock, Folk, a lil Hip-Hop, R&B, and a SLEW of 70's and 80's tunes. I have several digital media players and usually always have one with me so Aux is preferred.

Let me use the below to describe for each wehat I am interested in.

Head Unit: If the stock cannot handle XM, I would be interested in that. I would definatly want to find someone willing to install the rear controls as a part of the installation. I would think it would be as easy as installing the Steering wheel controls of most cars. If it needs to be replaced please offer suggestions keeping in mind an Aux is preferred for my digital players.

Speakers: Totally freaking clueless. Something that sounds decent and will do the trick. Is there a brand that I shoudl look for? I am open to buying used or ebay if it means getting more bang for my buck. Mainly wanting to have nice cleat crisp highs and Mids. TO the best of my knowledge the front doors each have 2 a small cone and a 4 or 6" I am not 100%. Then I think its the rear doors that have 1 each also.

Sub: I am not looking to shake dirt off the undercarriage, just enough to make me know its there and enjoy it. Again would consider buying used if need be.

Amp: TOTALLY FREAKING CLUELESS. No idea what I would want/need. But once again would consider used if it was the right amp at the right price.