2001 Jeep Cherokee

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Nosolace001, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Nosolace001

Nosolace001 New Member

Just picked up and Cherokee, and I am stoked to start making it my own.

What would you guys recommend in the way of off-road lights? I dont want a huge roof rack so I am thinking of something bumper mounted, or possibly a-pillar. Let's hear your opinions.

Also, our last jeep was broken into A LOT, there was nothing flashy inside, it just seems like these trucks are targets. Because of this, I want to think up, or buy a clever way to mount/store a stereo. I like the ones made by Tuffy that fit into Wranglers, with the stereo flap, but it doesnt look like they are made for cherokees. Thoughts? Personal Solutions?

I am also thinking of doing a 2-3" lift. I want to be able to fit 31" BFG AT/TA KO's. I would like to hear your recommendations, experiences, etc.

Thanks for your help:wavey:

2. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Solution for stereos? Get a deck with a detachable plate and always take it with you. Tack-weld the speakers on so they can't rip those out either.

3. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Get a stereo face that isn't flashy, but remove it. Don't roll up blasting music.

I have a sub, mounted here:

[​IMG]

Amp's under the backseat. I've never had an issue with theft.

As far as the lights, JCR just came out with a roof light bar thats pretty reasonably priced:

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2...OD&Product_Code=XJLGHTRK&Category_Code=XJMISC

I don't like light bars on the stock front bumpers very much, they just look kind of cramped. A-pillar mounts for the XJ aren't made anymore

4. mspainter

mspainter New Member

And if you think theft is going to be an issue get a flatter sub, and install light carpet over it, although you will sacrifice some bass.

Also, you can drill the factory roof rails and install lights on it, that is very popular. However for just two lights the bumper is a much better location for the lights.

5. IslanderOffRoad

Or find a factory cargo cover... I have one.

I'm not a huge fan of the roof mounts because glare on the hood can be an issue.

6. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

You could also cut a hole in the floor and mount the sub there. No one would know to look there.

7. IslanderOffRoad

The gas tank is right below the cargo area, not sure it would fit.

8. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

[​IMG]

lightforce 240's are the only light to buy.

you can make your own a-pillar mounts out of angle iron, cant find the pics i have...

9. Nosolace001

Nosolace001 New Member

Why would you say that? What else have you tried? In what ways are they better?

Personally, their size turns me off. IMHO they look ridiculous on your jeep. But to each their own.

I am starting to sway towards welding my own custom rack with four rectangle KC lights on a pivoting mount powered by a push botton linear actuator that lifts them up and pus them down to protect from rocks and theives and bad gas mileage.

10. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

:rofl:

brighter, moar durable, moar adjustable than any light on the market.

looks<functionality, otherwise Id be rocking 16 chromed shocks and 18" lift blocks.

rectangle lights :rofl::rofl: KC lights :rofl::rofl:

11. Fast_40

Fast_40 New Member

WJ's are pretty solid Jeeps.
    4.0 or 4.7?

I drove a 4.7HO a few days ago, thing is pretty ballsy, I have the 5.2 in my ZJ and Im sure the 4.7HO would keep up.
    If your going to spend that much for BFG AT KO's , try to get MTR's or ATR's unless you go off road a lot, I would say get some nice MTR's you can get some 31x10.5 for about $10-20 more a tire rather then the bfg's. Just my opinion.