2001 Ford Mustang Question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by k270, Nov 19, 2004.

1. k270

k270 Guest

I own a 2001 Ford Mustang V6. About a week ago I spun out in rainy weather(Didn't crash so no damage). Now I notice when I go into a sharp turn it seems like the back end wants to spin out. Is this just me, or could there be a problem with the car.

2. V6 Mustang a really fast car? :mamoru:

They're faster than the V6 Camaro/Firebirds by a long shot...but they're still not fast...

Although, I do sense a hint of sarcasm in the statement...

3. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

new tires would probably help

4. Los

Los Active Member

See if your tires are getting bald. If they are, get daddy to buy you some new tires.

5. k270

k270 Guest

Trust me, my tires are fine. They have just around 10,000 miles on them. and "daddy" doesn't need to buy me a new pair of tires.

6. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

better be careful who you say that to. got a buddy with a pretty snappy Thunderbird (yeah, same V6 + 400lbs) that might have something to say about it.. heh. :bigthumb:

I'm betting you've got a trac-lok rear end.......get into it too much and both tires will let go....

try unplugging the front 2 spark plug wires and go for a drive, let us know how it goes.

7. k270

k270 Guest

Ok, now I know I'm dumb. What is trac-lok rear end? And how does unplugging the 2 front spark plugs help anything?

8. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

Confirmed.... called sarcasm.

:hs: your car is fine. If you're really worried, take the car on dry parement and drive in a small circle. If the inside tire chatters/squeals, you've probably got rear end issues or someone snuck in a spool.

9. The V6 Supercharged TBIRD is pretty peppy... The normal V6 is ungodly slow though.

I own/owned a '93 tbird w/ a 302 5.0 H.O. that could get a very respectable 0-60, but I never took it to the quarter mile. With it set to 14* BTDC w/ a 3" exhaust, that helped more than you would expect. But even before that, it was pretty decent and seemed to handle better and accellerate better than other tbirds i've ridden in. Had monroe performance struts/springs with cooper cobra tires...nothing special I don't think.

Now Fletcher drives it, and he took it up to illinois... Car's been in the family since '93, has over 200,000 miles on it's original engine/tranny and has never once given us any problems, still runs like new as well. Fuel pump replaced at 170k.

10. k270

k270 Guest

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

11. dubbsy

dubbsy New Member

the 5.0HO is, unfortunately, second to the NA V6 in the slow department. Seems guys can only manage mid-high 16s with those, and high 15s a cobra intake and a few bolt-ons.

I've got a 94 4.6L V8 and with a tune (SCT) and 200lbs of weight dropped (plus my 250lb fat ass) I ran 15.18s. IMO respectable for a Tbird that close to stock.

The Factory SC Tbird is indeed peppy making a boat load of torque and in the lower 200HP range (I want to say my buddy laid down 220/320 with his manual 93 SC). However that stock Eaton M90 is limited. Fortunately they were offered with a 5 speed though, the only 89-97 with a manual. Nice cars if you can keep head gaskets in them (good gaskets and high flowing headers/cats to drop the backpressure/cylinder pressure down and you'll be good). Typically the SCs will go real high 14s or low 15s stock (varying by year... 93 was the most aggressive car [best cam setup] while 94-95 had the best blower design)

The car I was talking about is a NA V6.....or was I guess. He's now sporting a custom setup consisting of an aftercooled vortech, auto trans that'll take 600+ (same trans behind a buddies 450RWHP blown V8), Alum 8.8" with 3:73s..... Managed to push the car down to a 13.84 on Nitto DRs last time at the track. Not horribly fast no, but if you've spent time in the Tbird/Cougar community, you'd know that it's respectable for these cars (Especially what started as a NA V6). Plans for him include a stroker 4.3L (4.2 stroked to 4.3L) to sit under his stage II RGR head/cam package, and more boost of course....

any questions? :wiggle:

Dubbsy -resident MN12 geek

12. EZmfE

EZmfE The knife was this big

nothing wrong with the car maybe the driver
    to fix problem lay off the gas
    and to get the car to move put a v8 in it

13. KrazyAsian

KrazyAsian New Member

Heh, I'm getting a 2001 Mustang V6... you guys don't know slow until you drive my previous car, 1985 Mercedes 300SD Turbo-Diesel