2001 Camaro SS

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RyeLou, May 8, 2005.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm goin to look at one and test drive it on Tuesday. White 6-speed with black leather and t-tops. Only mod is a hurst shifter. 62,066 miles. Asking price is $15,995, but its at a dealership so I expect it to be a little bit high. I'm sure they will come down a little bit at least. Anyone have opinions on these cars or things to look for when buying one used?

Edit: If anyone has a current CarFAX account, would you mind sending me the info for 2G1FP22G512114726 ? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Just figured I'd throw this in here just in case.

[​IMG]

2. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

Fassssssssssssst

3. Bakushan

Bakushan New Member

Does it have ASR? 12 Disk? ILE? Suspension Add-On's or any SLP codes? Embrodiered floormats, car birth certificate, cuts for nitrous purge or mounts, cuts in airbox or inside the throttle body..

Check it all out. You can tell if someone drove the hell out of it.

Check inside the door, and post up a pic of the codes, and I can tell you EVERY single thing that car came with.

01's and 02's had alot to chose from if the original buyer was a true enthusiast.

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I know what the nitrous is and where to look for the cuts in those parts, but what is the rest? I know about SLP, but didn't know about any codes associated with them. Just taking a picture of the sticker on the inside of the door you would be able to tell me everything about it?

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm a huge fan of white, and I'm not really sure why. On a lot of other cars, I'd agree with you. I'll post the picture when I go look Tuesday.

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Actually looking around online and through CarFAX, the only thing I could find was that it was a former lease vehicle. I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing. It has had 3 owners according to CarFAX, too. Everything else is clean. No accidents or damage or any problems reported.

7. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Talk them down to 14,000 at least. Thats too high for that many miles, especially on a camaro. Trans Am's dont even go for that much, and TA's are worth more than camaro's for some reason.

8. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

haha. wonderful approach to it. Actually that was the price I was looking to spend, so that works out. I wasn't really looking for a new car but ran across this car in an auto magazine at work the other day, and figured I'd check it out.

The more I think about it, the more I can't wait for them to tell me no when I say $14,000.

9. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

You need premium for it, right? Not that thats a big deal my current car requires it as well. I'll get over the MPG. I don't have to drive too far between school/work/home, but I'm sure if I got it I wouldn't be able to stop driving. Insurance goes up ~$35 a month for the car, but I have a ticket that will come off in November, so whatever. I already called and talked to a salesman there, so I know who I'll be talking to tomorrow. He seems cool, so hopefully it goes well with him. Also, I work in a garage, so I plan on taking the car for a test drive and bringing it back here (where I'm at now) and having one of the mechanics take a look at it real quick. I'll post the pic. tomorrow after work. Thanks for the help. Awesome looking car, too!

10. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I just picked up a 99 T/A with 53k for $12,000

Fricken awesome cars, the highway gas milage isn't bad at all, im pushing over 25mpg. City fuckin blows though, I'm looking at about 10 - 15 city wiht skipshift off.

11. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I actually just went by the dealership to look at the car while no one was there, and there was a red '99 T/A there right next to it. They were asking $13,000 I think and it had about 62,xxx on it I want to say. Maybe I'll drive both tomorrow just for shits and giggles, haha. I'd much prefer the SS as its newer and I like the car better, but a T/A certainly wouldn't be bad either... It's cheaper, thats for sure. It was a 6-speed though, not like yours. I won't buy anything but a manual though...I like the control.

12. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

disagree with part of that. kids need to learn the proper way to own/drive an automobile young. like zygote young

13. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I know, I was j/k. I'm leaving in about 30-45 minutes. I'm getting excited. I hope the dealership won't have a problem with me driving the car 7 miles one way to my work for a mechanic to look at it. Again, I'll have the pictures tonight.

14. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

Good luck and post up those pics. F bodies are fuuuuuuuuuuuun.

15. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

They wouldn't let me drive it to my work, but they did let me take it to a store thats closer. I work at a Belle Tire (for those of you in MI or OH), and there happened to be one closer so that was cool. The mechanic there said most everything seemed fine. The only problem with the car that he found was the sensor and/or wire to the R/R wheel for the ABS and ASR was broke. It was causing both lights to come on "ASR OFF" and "ABS INOP". He said it shouldn't be more than about $100 or so at my cost, so thats cool. Other than that he said nothing was bent, leaking or broken that he noticed. Either way, I realize I wouldn't be buying a new car, and I'm cool with a few problems coming up...its inevitable.

Pics are bigger than I thought. I meant to set the pictures to be smaller, but they're 1600x1200 still, oops. To save anyone who has 56k, I'll just post the links. Also, after I post these pictures I'll be calling my credit union for financing. THanks to anyone who helps with these pics and lets me know what options it has.

Alright, now that pictures are posted, lets hear some opinions.

http://home.comcast.net/~rlewis311/IMG_0968.jpg - THE STICKER
    http://home.comcast.net/~rlewis311/IMG_0971.jpg - RIGHT SIDE
    http://home.comcast.net/~rlewis311/IMG_0972.jpg - REAR
    http://home.comcast.net/~rlewis311/IMG_0974.jpg - LEFT SIDE
    http://home.comcast.net/~rlewis311/IMG_0975.jpg - FRONT

16. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Good lookin' car, mang. The sticker tells you a few things. First, it's a legitimate SS (WU8), original manual car (MM6 and MN6) with 3.42 gears (GU6). The interesting one is the R9Z code. That's a special sales code, according to this site: http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/rpo.html

The R-codes on late model Camaros sort of give a history to the car. On my GF's 1998 Convertible Z28 (White top, white leather, red exterior, M6), there were about a half-dozen R-codes. It took me a while to find out what they meant, but it essentially showed a special-order car that made some interesting stops along the factory line. My guess was that it was originally intended as a V6 car until the special order came through, and was then converted to a Z28.

BTW, got it with 37K miles for 10.5K. ;)

These cars have got some really interesting history. Good luck on getting the car, and make sure and take good care of it. I think 14K is just about the right price.

17. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm thinking its going to be very difficult/impossible to talk them down to 14k. Is where the price at worth just walking away from the car? If you search Autotrader.com for a 2001 Camaro for the zip code 48083, they actually seem to be rather expensive around here according to the prices you guys are mentioning...?

18. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Out of curiosity, but on a similar note...what would be an ideal set up suspensoin wise for street use? No racing on any tracks or anything like that. An occasional visit to the drag strip, but the other 95% would be daily driving.

19. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

The only reason I'd get it without them fixing it is because I work at a place where I can get the parts at cost and the labor at 1/3 of the price. Another thing I noticed was that the tires on it are Riken Raptors. No offense to anyone who might have those, but they're shit. I work at a tire store and the salesman tried saying how good they were because they were new, haha.

20. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

Update?