2000 Audi A6 4.2...should I get it?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by attomica, Apr 19, 2004.

1. attomica

attomica Active Member

I'm considering the acquisition of this car, but won't make any moves until I get a better feel for its reliability and design. I know its performance is good, but that's just part of the equation. Anyone out there who has an educated opinion is cordially invited to voice them here.

2. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Well, the A6 4.2 (which I considered but went with the 2.7 cause you can get it in a stick) is a very nice car. The whole A6 range is not exactly a model of reliability. They aren't really unreliable but when stuff breaks it gets expensive - real quick. So it is best to get one Audi Assured.

Interiors are best in class - hands down. :bowdown: Performance is good. And quattro is very nice. The 5 speed auto is smooth but should have a service more often than recommended by Audi. The 4.2 weighs about the same (give or take) than the 2.7T with all its added hardware. And the fender flares are uber sexy. :drool:

I don't know what else to say about it...do you have any specific questions? Or anything in particular you were wondering about?

3. attomica

attomica Active Member

Thanks for your thoughts, GoGo. I've read a lot of comments that say the A6 4.2 is a stellar car, but I've also read a lot that say it's a reliability nighmare. I can't have my wife and kid stranded, so reliability ranks pretty high.

I'm going to divert my attention to the Infiniti I35 and the Acura 3.2TL-S now.

4. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Well, I guess if you want reliable then a super Accord is the way to go. :wtcd:

5. attomica

attomica Active Member

Yeah, the Japanese own the best reliability. Germans make incredible machines, but why must they be so (relatively) unreliable and costly to repair? Dammit.