$200 used PS3...good deal?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by J_75, Jul 30, 2009.

1. J_75

J_75 New Member

A guy at work is selling his 2+ year old, 80gb PS3 for $200....I'm itching to buy it, but I have a few questions.

1. Is that a good deal? I know a new one is $400, so it looks like quite a deal to me

2. I have a 36'' non-HD TV right now, and I'm probably not going to be able to afford to buy the one I want (54'' or bigger HD) for at least 6 months....is it worth getting a PS3 if I can't get an HD picture/resolution/whatever?

3. I have heard 360's have some reliability issues....is there anything I should know/ask about with the PS3? I have had PS1's and PS2's and never had any problems with them so I feel pretty comfortable with Sony, but PS3's are new to me

2. Tattoo23

Tattoo23 Live from Canuckia

Take a look at the games on the system, if some of the titles interest you... the answer is fuck yes. I paid mine full price and i still think that it was a great purchase.

3. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

Sounds like a good deal if it's been taken care of (no dust buildup, scratches, abuse, etc). A 6 month outlook for HDTV isn't enough to shy away from a 360/PS3 purchase. If you have a decent monitor you can always try rigging the PS3 to run through your monitor if you really want HD. I haven't heard of any significant problems with PS3s (aside from bricking during updates and 60GB problems).

I'd jump on the offer. :dunno: Even if the PS3 is broke, you could send it to Sony and have them fix it for less than the cost of a new one.

4. Fareo

Fareo New Member

1. thats half off, id say thats a great deal for hardware, a sale in retail you would barley see $50 off unless sony does its own price drop. however the slim is coming soon and its rumored to be $299? so take what you will out of that?

2. you dont need an HDTV to play the PS3 thats like saying its pointless to have a 360 without an HDTV.... graphicly the PS3 and 360 are pretty simalar, depending on the game but for the most part they are equal.

3. the ps3 has the "YLOD" yellow light of death i suffered from this on my orginal 60gb its a full fan failure and the ps3 wont turn itself on so that you dont damage it more. the 80gb ps3s if i remember correctly have newer bluray drives and have more disc drive failures but as i understand it the ps3 has somewhere around a 4-8% failure rate opposed to the rumored 30% failure rate the 360 has, that number seems kinda high but when you think about it and start asked people how many 360s they have had it starts to add up, so i think you should be safe.

5. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

get it bro. even at 480p some of these games look crisp as hell. :coold:

6. NavS

NavS its me!

a new one is $400 cause there's less chance that it'll fucking fuck up.

7. NavS

NavS its me!

I paid 650 for it the first time then 350 the second time... minus 200 I sold the busted one for... fuck bro I'd buy that shit then part it out, 70 for the PSU, 150 for the bluray drive, then maybe the motherboard for another 50 or so.

8. NavS

NavS its me!

or sell the motherboard within the whole casing minus the psu and drive for 80 bucks easy.

9. beez

beez New Member

I'd definitely buy that.

10. assclown

assclown Active Member

I paid $599 for mine on launch day. No issues with it and it was worth every penny. Grab it if you like the games for it.

11. J_75

J_75 New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely buying it now....I just hope this guy doesn't have second thoughts. He buys and sells cars as toys and loses money on every single one, so I'm not surprised he would sell this at a loss....but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. :x:

12. slowbird

slowbird I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is c OT Supporter

I wish I could buy one for $200 :o

13. J_75

J_75 New Member

well....there might be one for sale soon for $201 (shipping not included) :rofl:

14. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

You could buy it and flip it on Craigslist for $300. Axe me how I know. So yeah, it's a good deal.

15. jero

jero Let me just put the tip in...

Great deal.