GUN 20" vs 26" barrel

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kamikaze, Feb 16, 2008.

1. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

For a target rifle only, what is preferable? Also, why does Remington use a 1:12 rifling in it's .308's and Tikka uses a 1:11? Is there that much of a difference?

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

Advantages of the longer barrel are that you'll wring out a little more velocity, and the added weight will soak up a little more of the recoil... both of which are good in a target rifle. The disadvantage of course is that the extra length can be cumbersome, and makes the rifle very muzzle heavy. My 10FCP has 26" barrel... it is heavy as hell and wants to nose dive evertime I pick it up, but once it is in firing position it is a sweet shooter.

Twist rate... faster twists stabilize heavier bullets. The most common "off the shelf" match ammo is 168gr & 175gr, with 175gr usually being favored beyond 400 yards... so theoretically you'd you see little better performance out of the 1:11 w/175gr at extreme ranges. My savage has a 1:10, but I have yet to shoot it beyond 250 yards.

3. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

well, since I'm new to the sport, and eventually would like to be hitting targets at around 500 yards (which I'm sure will take years of practice anyway) I'd be better off with the longer barrel and faster twist?

4. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I've got a 20" bbl on my Remington 700 LTR. It does just fine, and I can actually use it for hunting. There are quite a few competition shooters that use the LTR, and do just fine with it.

5. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Good to know. I was leaning towards the 20" because of the portability, plus as other's have said about the longer barrels being muzzle heavy. If the 20" can be just as accurate at long range as the 26" i think i might just go with the 20" for now. What kind of range do you shoot with your 700?

6. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Well unfortunately I don't have a consistent place to shoot beyond 100 yds, other than the public ranges. I did however shoot a deer at 408 yds this past season with nothing but Remington 150gr core-lokt, knowing my ballistics tables and a kickass nikon scope.

I can hold at least 1in at 100 yds, but that's with mediocre ammo, and beore I got my better scope. ringing a man sized gong at 600 shouldn't be a problem, but if you're going for 800, you're going to need some good ammo, and a good optics system. 1000yds would be pushing it with the .308 caliber, but i'm sure it can be done.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

if you're going to be bench shooting i'd get the 26". if you were hunting, 20"

:dunno:

8. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

What caliber would be better for 600+ yards? Not that I'm going to be shooting that far anytime in the near future, but more out of curiosity? What is most common when it comes to competition, or is it whatever you shoot best with?

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

something with more powder is needed to keep the velocities supersonic at those distances. .50 is obviously a choice, but a lot of shooters go with something in .338Lapua, or .338WinMag. At those distances, a lot of custom handloads start showing up. .300 Win Mag is a probably pretty good that's cheap enough to actually shoot, at those distances.

10. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

.50 eh :naughty:

I think I'll start with the .308 Shit's a little more affordable. I think I saw a .50 cal on a website for about 6 grand, I can only imagine what ammo is worth

11. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

~$6.00/shot I think...

THATS pricey ammo.

12. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Goddamn...

13. zac44

zac44 New Member

the .308 is a great round to learn with
    not bad on price to shoot and barrel life is close to 10,000 rnds
    You can hunt most anything with it

when you start looking into longer ranges for making hits the 260 is starting to get popular. (high BC pills and can push them fast at low cost)

the .338 and 300 win mag are great at longer ranges but you will pay for it with recoil.

I'll be rebarreling my 308 to 260 soon and I can still hunt up to elk if I do my part on placement.

I'm a fan of the longer barrels as you get a few hundred FPS out of them and at longer ranges they make up for bad range estimation a little.

14. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Don't forget the extra resonance with the 26" barrel.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would go 20".