Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scott6760, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Scott6760

Scott6760 Guest

I need to decide on a new monitor and I think I have narrowed it down to these two. I don't do any gaming, just surfing the internet and email, etc. I do, however, use my computer for watching DVD movies from across the room, and I would like to hook a cable box to it also. Here's the deal -

The Syntax Olyvia
    is cheaper, has a built-in TV tuner, but it seems to be lacking in the picture quality department. It should still display movies fine, but the max resolution is 800x600 :ugh: . Wouldn't that look retarded on that big of a screen? (make my icons and sh!t all huge)

The Dell 2005FPW http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-4111&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external definately has a better picture, but, being a widescreen won't the image be smaller vertically than the Syntax monitor? This wouldn't really affect widescreen movies, cause they would fill the screen, but for normal use I would have a smaller picture, right? The Dell costs a bit more, but I don't mind paying extra for more quality/features. If I get the Dell I would have to run the TV feed into the S-video input and run the audio into the line-in on the computer, not really a problem there.

It seems like the Syntax is really a TV with a VGA input, and the Dell is a true monitor with a S-video input. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Is there a way to make my picture look normal (like a 1024x768, etc.) even though the monitor will only display 800x600? Thanks for the help guys.

P.S. I suck at linking. :sadwavey:
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    that syntax is a tv, and will look really bad for normal computing (800x600, need I say more?) If you want a TV as a monitor, you would need to look at the Sharp Aquos or similar, as they support decent resolutions.

But still, 20" and far away simply don't mix, imo.
  3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Jan 6, 2001
    If the Dell interests you, then also consider the 2001FP. It's 20.1" diagonally with a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of the widescreen. Same price as the widescreen, but has the advantage of the extra vertical real estate. If you do that Dellf giveway thing, you can get a coupon for 20% off I believe.