20" iMac - to Buy or Not to Buy? Help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Devoidarex, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Devoidarex

Devoidarex Rexversusu v.2.0

So, I got a buttload of cash for Christmas. I'm considering buying a 20" iMac to complete my conversion to the Apple world (added to my iBook and new Nano :bowdown: ).

We all know that Apple is eventually coming out with the Intel based chips.

Question: what is the usable life of the G5 chips and their software? Will Apple be abandoning this line, or will the transition to Intel be smooth and take a while?

I'm not big on waiting for the next generation in the computer world, because it is always obsolete in a year anyway, but still...

What should I do? :dunno:

2. TNFlyBoy

TNFlyBoy F =/= ma?? wtf??

from what i have heard, the intel chips are going to start from the bottom and go up, meaning starting at the mini's and finishing at the powermacs. my vote is to just go for it, i got one about a month ago and love it. plus if you're just waiting for something better to come out, you'll be waiting forever. plus a G5 is a 64 bit processor, that's always nice :)

3. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

I would buy now. Even if i KNEW that intel version of what i wanted was coming out next month (or next week), id still buy the PPC machine now.

It will take some time before all the software you want is recompiled for intel (some older programs may never make it), and until then some things will run slower and/or poorly under emulation.

4. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

i say buy it because i just got a 20" 2.1G5 and it shits on everything else ive ever used ha peace

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

the way I look at it, if you buy a 20" iMac now and decide later that you want to upgrade, there will be people out there that would rather have the G5 chip instead and be wiliing to pay close to what you paid for it.

I bought my G3 Pismo back in 2002 for $400 and could probably sell it now for about the same price...even though the powerbook/mac line holds better resale value than the ibook/mac line does. even still, you can get decent money for it if you decide to sell later.