GUN 20 gauge recoil?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4W4K3, Jun 14, 2009.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I was considering getting a 20 gauge shotgun for lighter recoil compared to a 12. But I've heard that if you're not shooting really heavy loads or slugs out of the 12 than the recoil is comparable between the two.

I do not plan to use the shotgun for really heavy loads, I won't be hunting big game or anything with it. Should I just get the 12 and buy "lighter" ammo?

I can take moderate recoil, but I am not a big guy. I would like my wife to be able to shoot it without sending her to the hospital afterward as well. She is very small framed, 110lb, etc. It's primarily for me though.

It's a Mossberg 500 as well, that is what I'm looking to buy. Probably shorter barrel length if it matters.

2. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

I'm no expert on the way this kind of stuff works, but from personal experience a 20 gauge kicks a significant amount less than a 12.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

That's what I thought at first too. I've shot a 12 one time and it was alright, but I shot a slug which was significantly more painful than the buckshot. I wish I knew what kind of load it was but I don't remember.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Target ammo and birdshot is very manageable in 12ga

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

So here is a noob question. There seems to be a lot of different shell/load options for th 12. I'm thinking I'll mostly shoot 2 3/4" shells, with birdshot and the occasional buck.

How do you distinguish "heavy" and "light" reciol ammo. Is there a site I can look at that breaks it down. I'm sure this is ammature stuff, I jsut don't know what #8 birdshot means compared to #4 or #1.

6. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

The higher the shot number, the smaller the shot is.

I was shooting a 20 gauge when I was like 11, so I'm sure you and your wife can handle it.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will end up going with the 12. I don't think I will have a problem. If it proves to be too much for the wife I can always use it as an excuse to buy an additional 20 gauge just for her. :p

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

A. a 20 gauge will recoil much less than a 12 guage

B. a 12 gauge with a 2 3/4" shell with birdshot load shouldn't be too much for any full grown person (if they are holding the gun correctly at least) my wife is 4' 10" tall and about 100 pounds, she's fired my shotguns when i make her go to the range with me to shoot clays, the only issue she has is just the length of any long gun cause her arms are so short lol. if you fire a 3" shell your gonna get some kick out of it but as you said you had no plans to do so.

9. Styk

Styk Active Member

just shoot short brass... And I have a 20 gauge and a 12, the 20 kicks just about the same. i watched a girl shoot trap with a 12 gauge that couldn't weigh 100 pounds and she handled it fine. A shotgun isn't as bad as people think.

10. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

My 12ga kicks less than my Mosin. :o

11. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Alot has to do with the shot charge. If you are shooting a pump or break at clays you are best off with a 7/8 oz charge or at the most a 1 oz charge. The problem many people have is that the standard cheap wally world shells are 1 1/8 loads. For clays this is will not break any better and beats you up more, basic physics.

If you want the least recoil spend a few more bucks and pick up a semi auto. An A5 or 1187 are great guns, you can find them for around 400 used all day. The recoil will be much less, not to mention they are better when shooting clays at any real range, it is hard to keep up with a pump when everyone has OUs and semis. If you get a semi you will need to go with the heavier loads to make it cycle but it will be less felt recoil.

If you keep with a pump (nothing wrong with them, I use mine all the time) go with a wood stock version and a 26" barrel. The extra weight will help the recoil. I shoot a very light OU and can go all day and be less sore than an hour with a synthetic stock 18.5" pump. If you have to have the plastic shit then try and add some weight in the stock.

You should be able to pick up a 500, 590 or 870 for $150 and have a decent choice on options.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

how would being semi auto be any better at shooting clays than a pump action? your skill level and choice of shot size along with barrell length yes, but semi v pump,,,,how would this matter?

i have both semi and pump shotties and though i like my semi better in general it's no more accurate than a pump

13. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I prefer the synthetic stocks, mostly for looks and price. If they are hollow (not sure) I can add weight to them. Sticky weights are cheap, the kind they use to balance tires.

I was looking at the shorter barrels because this is mostly going to be used for range practice and home defense. I do not intend to hunt with it, and I'm not really interested in competitive shooting or anything. My funds are very limited, $200-250 for the shotgun itself is my limit.

I liked the options available for the Moss 500 and Rem 870, plus they are cheap. In the future I might be able to look at semi auto, ut I'd like to start on a "cheap" pump.

14. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

you can shoot 12g bird shot one handed.

i say shes gonna have more problems with the length of the weapon more then its kick. My wife needs a youth model shotgun

15. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Shooting clays in a field with a hand thrower you wont see a difference. When you step out on a 7 stand range or some sporting clays courses it is very hard to get the second shot off in time.

There is a reason that most every shooter at a skeet range will be shooting a semi or OU. Also while I use my pump extensively for a truck gun, walking deer hunting (heavy brush around here), having for home defense and anytime I am somewhere nasty I would still rather put the money into a 70s or 80's decent quality semi auto (around 4-500) than the money into a new basic level pump (250-300).

A $150 pump gun from a pawn shop is never a bad investment, at the least you have a buddy gun when you upgrade.

16. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Shooting clays one handed from the hip is entertaining. Also entertaining is sneaking a shell of buckshot into your buddies shell bag/vest.

17. Styk

Styk Active Member

:rofl::rofl: gotta try that

18. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I sneaked one of my 3 1/2" duck loads into my gun when my wife was shooting clays.. she was not impressed :mamoru:

19. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Thats a little harder. If you can shove one in the tube they wont notice but any decent shooter can tell the extra length grabbing shells. Most won't notice a high brass shell if it the same color.

Also fun to take someone from shooting 90 grain powder loads to 150 in a muzzleloader. That one works well when you have an idiot that you don't want to take shooting too often.

20. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:werd: