20/24 pin ATX

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kamikaze, Apr 19, 2007.

1. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

If i have a motherboard with the 24 Pin ATX power connector, can I use just a 20 pin power supply to power the board?

The reason for asking is that I'm considering buying a Mini-ITX mobo with a 2ghx Via processor and it has a 24 pin power connector but most power supplies that come with the mini-itx cases are only 20 pin. I know they make adapters, but space is an issue in the case that i want to get. I had one like it before it was stolen and there was absolutely NO extra space inside.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

you'll definately need to use the adapter, odds are the system wouldn't even power on without the extra 4 pins hooked up.

3. Create

Create :free at last:

Find the correct power supply. Adapters will work but they make me nervous. It won't boot without the +4 pins.

I'm not sure about the smaller sizes, but most PSU's for regular desktops use a 20+4 connector, meaning the +4 part is a seperate connector.

4. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

You'd be surprised at how many systems boot with a 20 pin connector, while having 24 available on the motherboard.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Going in the other direction, I have a 24-pin PSU plugged into a 20-pin motherboard with no adaptor -- I just used a screwdriver to pry the four extra pins far enough away from the rest that they could slide down the outside of the 20pin power socket on the motherboard, and it works perfectly. So if you have an old computer and you need a new PSU, you don't have to get one with the old-style 20-pin plug -- you can get a new one that you can use with your new computer when you get around to building it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, I am currently running a 24pin mobo on a 20pin psu (posting from it, as we speak)