2 wireless APs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Sep 1, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

What is the best way to have 2 separate wireless networks connected to the same router? For example, I have a WRT160N router with wireless-n and an old WRT54GL router. Can I plug one into the other and have 2 separate networks available? Will they cause problems for each other through interference or anything?

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i have an old TiVo with a wireless adapter in it that only supports up to WEP encryption. the problem is that i have a laptop with an Intel wireless-n adapter and they will not allow the connection to go beyond 54Mbps (or 802.11g speeds) if WEP is enabled. so, my choices are to stick with slow speeds on my laptop (and thus make the WRT160n a somewhat worthless ugprade), drop WEP encryption entirely or have 1 segment for my PC, laptop and Wii (all wireless) and a separate segment just for my TiVo.

ultimately, i want the better speeds for my intra-network traffic, sharing media between my PC, laptop and XBox360 (wired). i also want a minimal amount of security on my network simply to keep my neighbors from stealing bandwidth, not for protecting state secrets.

Reference to Intel doc the specifies 802.11g limitation for WEP.
    http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/cs-025643.htm

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

4. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

put them on different channels (5 channels apart) and you shouldn't have a problem.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

got it up and working. got my primary up to WPA2 now with the alternate at WEP. the laptop is now up from 54Mbps to 130Mpbs. i'll screw around with it some more in a little bit.

next step i'll work on is isolating that AP somehow so it doesn't have full access to the rest of my network. there isn't any data that will be sent over that network, just periodic schedule updates for the TiVo.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

while looking for a way to isolate the traffic of my secondary AP, i stumbled on some information on how i can do this without the second AP at all. i'm running DD-WRT on both of these and i found that i can create a virtual interface and setup a second wireless network just using my WRT160N. then, i can have it so they can't talk to each other.

7. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Why not just use a mac filter, don't broadcast and forget the encryption and just use the N router

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i was using mac filter and WEP. turning off the SSID broadcast was causing me such aggravation since everything i use is wireless (PC, laptop, TiVo, Wii, iPod Touch) and some of them were just acting goofy when i turned off broadcast.