WEB 2 website ideas... need help.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bawlinmo, Jul 15, 2008.

1. bawlinmo

bawlinmo Neighborhood Graphic Designer

Idea #1 - my plan is to build a site where people (inventors, entrepreneurs, scientists, etc.) can share project ideas that they come up with but don't have enough time to work on. A site where people can go to share project/business/invention ideas. Basically a sharing forum site with the 'open source' philosophy behind it.

I think a forum would best suit this idea. But I want it to be exclusive. Invites only, I guess is best. Are there any OTB forum scripts (like phpBB etc.) that come with invite options for registration and such?

Any ideas that would better suit than a forum? Or if the forum is best, which type would allow for the exclusive invitation idea? any help would be fantastic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Idea #2 - This idea is a little crazy. I'm going to be very vague, because I'm really excited about the idea and don't want it stolen. I need advice on how to start a 'learning competition' website. Basically I want users to be able to register and have profiles, read an article or watch a video etc, take a test (or play game) and keep high scores charted for all users to see. I want users to be able to chart their progress, and maybe even print out a personalized certificate when they complete each 'test' or 'game.' I want them to be able to interact with each other also, if possible, via chat (or whatever is best these days).

Are there any CMSs or clones of sites (similar to mypace, digg, and hotornot clones) that could help me achieve this, or do I need to spend a million bucks on a designer/coder company? Again any ideas or help that you could provide would be awesome. Thanks guys.

2. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I'm sure there are several CMSs you could use to get the basic site down. some of that stuff will probably require some custom-coded modules/addons/extensions, though.

3. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

4. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I'm sure there would be a dotnetnuke module suited for this.

5. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

There is a link somewhere here on OT with a site just like the one you described (invention ideas). Just renewed my sub so the link disappeared... ;-)

6. bawlinmo

yeah for the forum I think i'm going to go with smf. Not because its the best, but because its super easy and i was able to install a package to make it invite only without knowing anything at all. I'm demo testing it now. (plus being a college student means i'm too poor for vbulletin)

the second idea seems like it's gonna be a bit tougher.

7. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I was just point out that someone is already doing your first idea. Not that you can't do it also...but you might want to check out their product first. If you can't compete, or beat them...do you still want to try? What are you going to do to provide a product superior to there site?

8. bawlinmo

it's not going really going to be a competitive site for the other. Just another forum to share ideas. I have a lot of friends doing professional research (working in university labs etc.) and we would like to be able to bounce ideas off of each other and such.

I just want to have a brain trust community of my own. Nothing to offer except ad free forum boards, with invite only exclusiveness.

I would love to see what they have going though. I could see what works for them and learn from it.