2 subs better than 1?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ww_Crimson, Oct 17, 2007.

1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Ok so here's my situation. I've got one 12" Sub right now. It wasn't working the other day except for when I pressed up against the center of it gently and even then it wouldn't work consistently. I took it into the shop I bought it from a few months ago and showed them my receipt. The guy was like "ok it's blown" and put a new sub in the box in like 15 minutes for free.

I asked him what could cause the sub to have blown and he said I was probably putting too much power to the sub. He suggested that I get either another sub and run 2 12"s, or get a more powerful single 12" sub with a higher wattage rating.

I'm still pretty new to audio and I've read what I can but I'm having trouble determining whether or not the guy was just trying to sell me some shit since he had to do the work for free today (<3 warranty) or if it really would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Also, what are the major differences between a single voice coil over and a dual voice coil. The owner of the shop said that if I was to upgrade to 2 12"s that I would need to change out my current single 12" sub to a dual coil.

For reference, the sub I have is here. It's the 12" single voice coil. If I upgrade I'd be getting 2 of the 12" dual voice coil

http://tma.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=213

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

the biggest help would be what kind of amp are you running? the installer could be a total tool and just telling you something to get you out of his hair. The gains on your amp could be set too high, which can cause distortion. The xover points or bass boost on the amp could be improperly set. you could have a bad ground, which in turn can overwork the amp, which in turn can send distortion thru the signal, which will blow subs. those are some of the variables that can be blowing your subs.

3. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I have the 4 channel amp on the same website. I don't know what the xover points are set at but I know the bass boost is turned almost all the way down on the amp. If you check out my other threads you'll see I had some whistling/whining noises and I found out that my amp is grounded to the car body, not the battery -- does that whine mean that it is a bad ground?

4. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

oh noes....:ugh:

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yep. it's confirmed. your installer is a toolbag. have the gains checked by a reputable shop, and make sure that nothing is way out of whack.

that amp and sub combo should be great.