A&P 2 questions, next lens and best photog magazine

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by xconverge, Oct 10, 2008.

1. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

First of all, I have currently:

d70
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 18-70 kit lens
    sb600

I am thinking about something like the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 for my next lens. I have read reviews on the tokina, tamron and sigma wides and the sigma seems best suited for me. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with this? I think a wide would be better for me than a 70-210 or 70-300 at the moment. I don't do much action photography, mostly because I don't have a good lens for it.

Secondly, what are some good photography magazines? Pictures/reviews/new gear and amount of actual content vs ads is pretty much all that matters. Thanks guys! sub ran out, gotta resubscribe :wiggle:

2. cgper

cgper OT Supporter

take a look at the pictures you've taken so far. Figure out if you've been using the 18mm or 70mm more often and i would base my purchase on that.
    ultrawides are always fun though. i had the tokina 12-24 myself (canon) and i loved it.
    i think you'll be happy with any choice you make. new gear is always fun. :)

3. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

hmm, in that case its either the 18mm or 50mm so I think I might go for the wide. That is a good way to think about it. Although I could be taking mostly wide shots because I cant get the reach I want. Well I have time to decide before this car sells and I get the cash :big grin:

4. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Whoa, almost the same setup as me :noes:

I tried out the Tokina 11-16, and I was thinking of saving up for it. Quite a few OT'ers have good things to say about it.

5. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

look at the photos you take, do you find yourself wishing you could have a wider angle, or longer telephoto?

6. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I do a lot of photojournalism, sports and various other shit (basically everything), and in my bag I have:

11-16, 17-50, 50 f1.4 prime and a 70-200 all f2.8 or faster. I would love to have a 300 f2.8, but for now it's the perfect bag. If you could swing something like that, with a crop camera, you'd be stylin'

7. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i like the shutterbug mag. seems like a good balance.