2 questions about startup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I have a program on my computer that checks my gmail for me. Upon bootup it comes up with a screen with my user/pass that I have to click OK on. I'd like to not do that. Is there somehow I can use a batch file or something like it to click the OK for me. :dunno:

Also, I have another program that makes the icons on my desktop small. On bootup it doesn't run and I have to run it. I'd like to put it in the startup menu so it's automatically run when I bootup but don't know how to do that.

Also, I am trying to minimize the amount of icons I have in my icon tray. I've gone to the start menu and tried to 'hide' the icons but they still appear. Is there a way I can hide these in the background even when their running?

That's it for now. I know I had another question but I forgot it. I'll edit this post when I remember.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

1) Not sure

2) I have the same program. Copy the .exe to your startup folder

3) Right-Click on taskbar -> properties -> check hide inactive icons.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

# 2...I did that and all it did was put a shortcut on my start menu programs list.

# 3 That's what i've done. I've even gone to customize and 'always hid' the ones I don't want to see but they are still in the task bar.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Right click on your startup folder and go to explore. Right click copy, right click paste the exe to the folder.

Yes, they are still going to be there but hidden if not active. run msconfig and turn off what you don't need.

5. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Aha... didn't recognize where the startup folder was. Was thinking startmenu when you said startup. If I wanted to edit the startup folder where would I look. Doing a search just points you toward the startmenu folder and some other folders I don't recognize. Which one would be the startup folder.

Thanks for your quick help.

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Should be Start Menu > Programs > Startup
    just drag the exe to the startup folder

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yep, or browse to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and paste the file in there.

8. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Also, for the icons in the system tray that you want to be hidden, go through the programs options/preferences and look for any options about displaying an icon there.

9. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

The exe doesn't need to be in the Startup folder, a shortcut will work just as well...infact it would be the best idea.