2 PS failures in 2 Years. Something causing it?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Jun 1, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

In November my Antec 500W PSU failed. Replaced it wiht the PSU that came with my case (NXTZ is the brand, PSU had decent reviews, its not one of the big companies so I didn't expect much from it though). Today I get home and my computer will only turn on for literally about a few seconds. Every few times I could get it to load windows, but then it would turn off. So I replaced it with another Antec PSU 500W Earthpower or some shit.

Cliffs: In November my Antec PSU went bad. Now my NZXT replacement PSU went bad. Just popped in an Antec to replace that. I'm on my third PSU now. WTF? Is it just a coincidence or something else going on?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

well, i would guess that you are feeding it dirty power. try a ups that feeds conditioned power off of the battery, it should be clean.

do you ever notice brownouts from power sags? do you have high current devices connected to the same outlet/circuit?

or it could be your mobo that is killing your power supplies

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you replaced a shitty psu with another shitty psu. Get a good one before you start blaming other components.

4. awns729

awns729 New Member

hm, i have a surge protector plugged in obviously, still should i hook it up to a UPS?

We do sometimes have brownouts in our area (thats where the power goes out for a split second, right?). Today was a thunderstorm, so it is possible we had one today, so if we did have a brown out, I guess its likely that a few hours later the PSU could have died? Is this true?

I have the computer, and two CRT monitors on the same outlet.
    In the same room (not sure about same circuit?) I have my laptop, and a bunch of lamps. That's about it.

5. awns729

awns729 New Member

Uh, Antecs are pretty good PSUs. NZXT makes shitty PSUs, yeah.

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I'd blame the power your getting. I think getting a backup will fix your problem. Yes, they are all on the same circuit. (well.. usually. Usually circuits are divided into rooms. I've come to never give absolutes when it comes to anything electric.)

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

antecs are super-shitty. They're no better than the nzxt or other "generic" psus.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

NZXT PSUs are made by Topower, same guys who makes Tagan, Mushkin, and some of OCZ PSUs. quality is hit and miss.
    Antec is just bad.

anyway,... yeah, UPS, power conditioners, a quality surge protector might fix your problem.

also make sure its not a cooling problem.
    is the pc inside an enclosed cabinet? exhaust unblocked? dusty room? pets shedding hair?
    dust build up = fan failure = psu failure.... you get the idea.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This is actually quite possible. I once built a computer for my brother using hand-me-down parts, and when I plugged the computer in and turned it on, I heard a high-pitched whine coming from the motherboard. I unplugged it and touch-tested the chips, and one power transistor burned the shit out of my finger it was so hot. I was sure I'd killed the motherboard, but another PSU worked just fine, and the first PSU also worked fine in a different machine. Weird how that happens sometimes.

10. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

It's all about the Corsair HX Series :wavey:

11. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a vx450w, i love it. looks slick, plenty of connectors (almost too many), long sleeved cords, whisper quiet and runs pretty cool.

12. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I have the 520. The modular thing is so useful. It indeed runs very very cool.

13. awns729

awns729 New Member

hm yeah, this(link) is the case i have. Two 120mm fans, Three 80mm, One PCI slot fan. It's cold in there lol

hm i don't really know much about electricity, but is there any way to test the current coming out of the outlet to see if thats a possible problem?

And would I be fine if I just go ahead and get an expensive surge protector you think?

Thanks for the help guys

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

so I guess the pc is in an open area then.
    for the sake of argument,... even if your case has 11tybillion fans, if you put it in an enclosed computer cabinet, close the door, no exhaust (the cabinet, not the pc).... it can still diaf.

also, if the fans pulls air that is already hot to begin with, a component like a PSU could have a hard time cooling down.

don't bother testing the outlet. a good UPS with line conditioning features will provide clean power regardless of what comes in.
    do really invest in a good one. look at the features, learn the joule ratings, etc.

15. Chris

Chris New Member

HX520 powering my Q6600