2 product questions v. wax-as-you-dry & #7

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Ballast, May 15, 2005.

1. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

So I thought I'd put them both in one thread...

1) Eagle One Wax as you Dry. I know it's had some great reviews as a booter wax. It appears to have been reformulated. Anyone used the new blue bottle stuff? Is it any good?

2) Use some #7 Show Car Glaze again after reading Scott's suggestion from meguiar's online. I did a test on my friend's spoiler when we did his car this week. Work really well. But my question is: since it's a beaty product that isn't expected to last long, does that mean that the wax I applied to it won't have as good adhesion to the paint? Should I be expecting the wax in that area to be gone next week?

2. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Correct, #7 is a show car product, mearly designed for "show". It is very rich in oils, and unfortunately, anything you put on top of #7, will not adhere. In my opinion, it really has no place in detailing for other then temporary satisfaction.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd go with Clearkote's Red Machine Glaze instead of #7 since it is easier to use and has a lot less oils.

I've found Meguiars #26 does well over #7 but I doubt any sealants would bond well. NXT should be okay though since it has light specialized cleaners that prep the paint for better adherance. Not sure how it affects the #7 look though.

4. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

Scott, not to argue (you know be better anyway). But topping #7 with anything defeats the whole purpose of its use anyway wouldnt you think ?

5. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

Scott:

I also have my bottle of VM, but plan on trying some Red Machine Glaze next time I place an order...

Just thought I'd try my #7 again since I had such a shitty experience before and with that article thought I might have a better one (the stuff is paid for and sitting with the rest of my products). It was NXT that I topped it with rather than EX-P, because I'm also testing the durability of NXT. We have some nasty industrial fallout in London....

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I've seen your truck and some of your work, Patrick, so I think you know at least as well as I do. ;)

If you are talking a garage or trailer queen, just using #7 untopped is fine but it isn't practical for a daily driver. You lose some of the wetness but not all when you use #26 over it.

Anyway, I switched to #81 Hand Polish when it came out and it was my go to combo with #26 on paint in excellent condition for years.

According to Mike Phillips of Meguiars, NXT over #7, #3 or #81 looks better that just NXT.