2 Problems with Wireless Internet. Pls help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VIOLATION, Apr 15, 2004.

1. VIOLATION

VIOLATION west coast > east coast

Hey fellas. You guys have always been a lot of help with minor computer problems and questions I've had, so here two more...

First, I cannot send email from home from my POP school account. I dont know why. My roommate cannot either. We're on wireless internet (RCN) and both hooked up via a Belkin 802.11b router. I get on the internet fine and can use AIM and everything else - in fact I can check my email - I just cant send it. Not sure if it's the router, Outlook or what. I can send and check email fine at school, which has a wireless internet connection too (VPN).

Second, I have two roommates. One is hardwired to the router. He's got a desktop and the connection is in his room. My other roommate has a laptop like myself. While the two of them can network their computer and share files, etc., I cannot get onto the network. I've tried looking at the settings on my roommate's laptop and setting my computer to be just like it, but to no avail. My computer just cannot seem to find the network (even though it uses the same internet connection).

Can anyone help? Any help will be appreciated. Thx.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

For the first, you said you use Outlook? Do you have the outgoing mail server setup correctly? Are you sure you don't need any kind of VPN software to access your mail server from home? When I was in college, I had to use the web access for my e-mail from home because we weren't able to get to the mail server from outside of the network.

Second, what OS's are we talking about here? Can you even see the other computers in Network Neighborhood? It could really be a lot of things, but we need some more info about the setup.

CM.

3. VIOLATION

VIOLATION west coast > east coast

Last year I had my laptop and it was hardwired to a router. No problems sending emails from home. So I dont think that I need VPN software to access my mail server from home. Friends of mine dont have this problem. Remember, it's just sending mail that is the problem. I can receive mail. And yes, it's Outlook 2003.

The OS is WinXP Home. I cannot see the other computers in the Network Neighborhood. I'd love to gvie you more information, but I'm not really sure what you guys need to know to help me diagnose this thing. Any screen shots that I can post that may be helpful?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I've never really used XP Home before, but I know it lacks a good amount of the networking stuff that is present in XP Pro. Are the other 2 machines XP Home too? Have you tried running the Networking Wizard to setup a network? You can browse through this which may give you some help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813936

Not sure about the e-mail problem though.

CM.