$2 paypal opportunity for a simple VB prog

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by biomechanoid, Mar 7, 2003.

1. biomechanoid

biomechanoid Guest

simple progam.

all it needs do do is:

upon launch toggle the state of winamp's random mode then close.

so it runs, and if random is off it turns it on and if random is on it turns it off, and then the progam exits itself.

2. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

you can't press SHUFFLE button yourself?

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

eh, it would be cake, but not woth $2

4. biomechanoid

biomechanoid Guest

It's for a home-made car mp3 player, and I'm using an LCD interface which is kinda tricky to get it to do more than change tracks and adjust the volume. I need a toggle button for the random setting, and the easiest way would be to have it run a program like I described.

any other takers?

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

What does the interface do? I mean all winamp needs is the letter s sent to it to toggle. Also, the config file (studio.xlm for winamp3) has the setting. You could simply swap config files as well. I mean how do you trigger a program to run assuming that's what you wanted to do.

6. biomechanoid

biomechanoid Guest

the interface has its own built in keypad (7 buttons) that send signals through the com port. last time I checked, winamp can't be controlled through the com port.

but there is a program that interfaces with the LCD screen that lets you run a .bat or .exe program when a button is pressed, along with adjusting the volume, play/pause, next/previous track, and stop.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

8. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

also do you mind posting the pictures of this in car mp3 player? thx

9. biomechanoid

biomechanoid Guest

welp; tomorrow I'm taking the car apart and doing a detailing/cleaning of everything, including under the carpets and probably the engine bay. then tuesday I'm actually going to reinstall all of my stereo equipment including the mp3player... so pics will probably be coming late tuesday night or wed.

10. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I could swear if you look over winamp.com or google, you will find plugin apps that allow a little more control over Winamp via various input methods (including COM I believe).

I would also ask the question, why Winamp? Does this PC setup do anything else other then playing tunes?

11. biomechanoid

biomechanoid Guest

all it does (right now) is play songs and run a winamp plugin. what I'm hoping for it to do in the future is also switch between mp3 and CD, and also play movies/games since I'm putting a USB and keyboard/mouse hookup.

The built in s-video and A/V video is hooked up to my LCD screens, so the visual stuff will be easy to implement.

12. 5Gen_Prelude

I do know there's a joystick plugin for the game port - I've used it - I had a wireless gamepad and hooked it up to control winamp.

13. biomechanoid

biomechanoid Guest

thing is, I'm not trying to build a PC for my car, so much as build a headunit/mp3 player using PC parts and programs... if that makes any sense.

I want it to operate and look like a car stereo, but be able to do all the tasks a PC can do. using a gamepad, while functional, is not fitting with the form I want. :dunno: the way I have it right now, all I need is that simple prog, and it will work exactly like a normal car stereo.

14. 5Gen_Prelude

Well I definately think you are better off sending the command via one of those languages in my link (vb is good) to the actual program running. That way if the program isn't running, no big deal. If it is, it will simply toggle it off and on.

15. biomechanoid

biomechanoid Guest

here's exactly how it works right now:

the LCD screen came with some interface software. its a simple highlevel programming language. there are up two 12 different displays that you can program (what to show on them, or even if you want to use them) and 7 programmable buttons. what you can do with the 7 buttons is pretty limited:

Next theme
    Last Theme
    Next screen
    Last screen
    goto (theme2)
    goto (screen2)
    freeze/unfreeze screen
    refresh all data
    backlight on/off
    backlight toggle
    backlight flash
    playwave
    execute program
    winamp next track
    winamp last track
    winamp play
    winamp stop
    winamp pause
    winamp volume down
    winamp volume up

with these premade commands the onlything that I want it to do (right now) is turn winamp's random mode on and off. it would be easiest to write a simple program (might I mention that I've tried, but I just suck at VB) that will run when the execute program command is assigned to a button.

in the future I also want it to be able to switch between playlists, but I'll wait on that.

16. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

hmmm are you sure that it is able to run a VB program? I would think a smaller application like that might not contain the VB runtime libraries, but i could be wrong.