GUN 2 or 4 moa dot for aimpoint

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Dec 28, 2009.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Gonna get an Aimpoint and wondering what size dot to get, 2 or 4.

Will be on a lightweight carbine that I sometimes use for 3 gun type shooting only out to 100 yards cause I'd use a 1-4 equipped rifle for anything beyond that. Would be SHTF if that unlikely scenario ever came up and other than that, fun and plinking.

Probably going with an ML3, might consider a T1 if I decide on the 4 moa dot.

What do you guys use?

I have used an Eotech and like the 1 moa dot for fine accurate shooting at longer distances, but wonder if the 2 moa dot on the Aimpoint is too small for fast cqb type shooting if it doesnt have the big ring around it like the Eotech did.

Thoughts?

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

i've been happy with my 4

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

For 100 yards and under, I'd got 4MOA

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

4 moa. Actually it's too bad they don't off a 6 moa. That is my prefered short range hoser dot.

5. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

you can still get the dot very small on the 4 for longer range shots. at least I have :dunno:

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

nothing wrong with a 4 MOA. at 300 yards it's only 12" so you can see most targets, and beyond that distance the dot will be over what you're shooting so its not that big of a deal.

7. I vote 4 as well.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well at 300 yards it is a problem if you need to take a head shot, or your shooting 12" or 10" plates. Granted your probably going to use the top edge of the dot but it is definately not easy.

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:dunno: i've never done it and not pretending like i have but i can imagine one could do it with some practice.

i've read that if you have a 2 MOA dot you can crank the brightness and it'll bloom a little to make it appear bigger :dunno:

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yes there are certain sights where you can crank up the brightness and the dot does look bigger but not in a good way. The dot "blooms" and it has irregular and jagged edges that move. There is the opposite also where you turn down the intensity of the dot and it appears smaller. I guess this works better but the dot is not as bright.

It maybe that my brain is wired to want to see a certain sight picture. For short range I want a 6 moa dot as when I'm shooting fast I like this size. It's big enough that I can track it in recoil to call my shots, but small enough that I can make 100 yard headshots. I could get by with a 4 moa too I'm sure.

For long range I want a true 1 moa dot. I really like my TR20 as the dot is square. It kind of is like looking for the top edge of my front sight on a pistol.

[Thread drift] The new leopold delta point - dot sight has a triangle dot. I guess it would be about 8 moa but by using the tip of the dot it's like 2 moa. The best of both worlds. I signed a NDA so I can't post pictures until the shot show but it's a winner.[/thread drift]

Regarding being able to hit at 300+ with a 4 moa, yes it can be done. It's just it is nowhere ideal for precision at that range. For instance a 4x scope with a 1 moa dot would be pretty easy on a 12" plate at 300. That same 4 moa dot at 1x would require you have a perfect hold. Perfect is not easy to do.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  11. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

MFD >*

But I prefer 2moa

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Hmm. I'm hoping to find someone with a couple in stock soon and check them out. I like the idea of the smaller dot as long as it shows up ok in bright sun, I'm not out to break any land speed shooting records with my rifle, just have fun and something reliable.

I really liked my eotech reticle, however, I sold it recently cause for some reason, due to my vision, or my contacts or something, I would often get a double reticle when using it. So I never used that rifle often. I would blink my eyes and it would come and go and it got really annoying when trying to make a precision shot.

I dont have the same issue with single dot tube style optics like the Aimpoint. I dont know if it was the way the hologram was projected on the glass or what, but others could not see it at all and I did. Like I said, I have a couple cheap single dot sights and dont have the issue so figured I'd go Aimpoint.

Is the T1 really a different sized 4 than the ML3? Aimpoint lists them both as 4 and being the same company and all, I'd figured they would be the same size.

13. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Ive had to engage pop up targets are 300meters which is roughly 325 yds and out of all my sights the ones I could constantly get a 100% with was my EoTech and TR24

Aimpoint 2moa was about 75% of the time
    Aimpoint 40moa was about 60% of the time
    And 6moa was around 50% of the time

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

See, for me, this will likely be used for 100 yards and under unless it were a SHTF situation and it was the only gun I had access to.

In a COF that might have anything 100 yards or out, I'd use my other gun with SS barrel and 1-4 scope on it for more precision on the longer targets.

Still, as long as a 2 was bright enough, I'd do that one more than likely.

15. sprite

sprite Active Member

I run a 2MOA CompML3. I like it, have no trouble picking it up. I've shot a 4MOA as well, and it was not appreciably faster, although I didn't put it on a timer.

If I consistently come up from low read to a good "mount" my first shot is fast regardless of dot size, and if I don't it is slow regardless of dot size. If I keep my eyes open and maintain good target focus my splits and transitions are fast regardless of dot size, and if I don't they are slow regardless of dot size.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If you have a decent 1x4 variable on another rifle, why not just standardize? Put another optic of the same type on the other rifle. At 1x it is going to be just as fast as the aimpoint.

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Where you'll see the speed increase (and after practice). Is when your shooting on the move, doing lots of target transitions, and shooting longer strings or fast splits with accuracy. It's a matter of the bigger dot is faster to find when your doing something dynamic like stretching around a corner or moving your feet. That and you see more of what the dot is doing in recoil so you can call that shot right as you break the shot. When your doing static stuff like stand and mount the gun it's still a factor though not as much. Your looking for sub one second from timer beep to first shot on target.

18. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Well, I found a ML3 with the 2 moa dot locally for a good price, I compared it to an ML2 with the 4 moa dot and didnt notice any kind of real difference when the power is turned up, but when turned down slightly, the 2 moa dot was more precise, so it seems like it was the best of both worlds.

Since they had it and at only $419 (cheapest online I found was about $480), I went ahead and picked it up. Ordered a Larue mount and will be happy with it.

Main reason I didnt want another 1-4 is this is going on a lightweight build rifle, light barrel, carbine, short rail, nothing fancy, and I just wanted to keep it light and simple. I know the T1 is even lighter, but I like the Comp series 30mm tube and its still cheaper, which is fine since I'm not heading to war with this.

I had pretty much been ok with going with a 4, but when I saw there really wasnt a significant difference at the higher setting, I just went with the 2 since they had it.

Thanks for the input and I'll post pics when its mounted.

Its still lighter than the Eotech that was on it before and hopefully the single dot will work better with my vision. It can still get fuzzy at times with my contacts, but I dont seem to get the double vision I seemed to with the Eotech reticle.

19. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I got a 4MOA and I really like it.