A&P +2 megapixel digicam that works good at night?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cypha12, Jul 22, 2002.

1. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

I take a lot of pix at night with my Olympus D-460L camera and it sux. I get a lot of white bubbles in my pix along with crappy skin tones. So, I'm lookin to upgrade. Whats a good <$800 camera that takes good night time shots? I'd prefer it to be a point-and-click type since I don't know too much about setting up shots with cameras.

BTW, any good sites for beginners that explain how to set up exposure, white balance, etc?

2. LS20

LS20 Guest

on My canon I have to set the white balance over to Tungsten (light bulb icon) for it to get the right tones and shades at night

also, if you have a "night flash" flash mode, turn that on so that the whole pic will be illuminated---or else your subject will be lit like from a floodlight

if your pics are still dark, over compensate by turnign the EV up... like +2/3 or +1 step up

3. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

Cool, I understand everything cept for the "EV" part. Whats EV?

4. LS20

LS20 Guest

something about exposure compensation :p

the higher you go the brighter the pic will be, the lower u go the darker it will be

5. ibewill

ibewill New Member

if you want to take good night shots get a nice film slr camera that has a bulb setting.

6. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

Ok, my camera went to shit. The viewfinder went outta whack and now I can't use it to view my shots. So, its time for a new camera. I was lookin at the Nikon CoolPix 885 based on the reviews I've read. It looks like it can take decent night shots. Any other suggestions? I plan on attending some night events soon and want to take pix.

7. tefnut

tefnut build

Here's a $250 camera taking night shots - the Canon A40. This was 10:30 PM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LS20

LS20 Guest

for night pics you want a FAST camera because camera shake will be a problem... for that, look at something with a fast shutter speed (equal to or faster than 1/1000th) and a large aperture lens (atleast smaller in number than F2.8)

The Olympus C3040Z has a nice, bright, fast F1.8 lens, supports ISO400 for even faster speeds, and takes very good quality pics

also look at Sony S75

9. bfvrock

bfvrock Active Member

if you can keep your shutter open longer without moving the camera too much...it will let in more light and you will get really nice night pics

10. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

it's my understanding that the larger the lens, the better your night shot will be.

i have the olympus c3020z, and it takes some amazing low light pics

11. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

You guys rock! Thanks for the recommendations.

12. ibewill

ibewill New Member

:rofl: id like to see some of your 1/1000th night shots. 1/1000th is only good in day conditions. 1/1000th at night would only work if you had some crazy high speed film like iso1600. oh and most people can shoot at 1/60th before there is any camera shake, there is no reason to shoot at 1/1000th to stop image shake. actually its better to have a slow shutter speed while your camera is on a tripod. if he already has a digital camera, and he plans on taking all kinds of night shots he should get a film slr camera that has a bulb setting. a bulb setting on a camera allows the shutter speed to be open as long as you hold the shutter release button down. if you are too lazy to hold the shutter release button down for a long period of time, or are worried about camera shake then you can get a cable release for your camera. plus digital cameras tend to take pictures that are very noisy when they use long shutter speeds such as 15 seconds or so, unless the camera is equipped with some kind of noise reduction.

13. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

The reason I'm looking for a digital solution at night is because I take pictures at a local outdoor benefit concert every so often which take place late afternoon, early evening. We make it so we can upload the pix immediately to our website, so concert attendees can see themselves when they get home. Having a digital camera makes things a lot more convenient for us to do this.

Here is a link to some pix I took using the camera I had.

14. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

Ok, I did some more research and now lookin at the Canon series of cameras as well as the Nikon CoolPix 885. I like how the Nikon has interchangeable lenses. Any other <$500 digital cameras that do this as well?

15. LS20

LS20 Guest

ugh. my bad, i got lost in talking about speed alone.

anyways, self-timer + tripod = no need for cable :big grin:

16. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

The 885 has interchangeable lens? :confused: I think you're mistaken. It probably accepts adapters that accepts a limited range of add on lenses.

As for night shots, the best you can do is tripod and slow shutter speed. Large aperture helps, but most digi don't allow you to control them. Since this is a "live" photoshoot, you can't ask for better lighthing (ie: lamps).

17. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

You're right: it has an adapter which allows micro and wide-angle lenses.

I now understand the limitations of digital photography, but would like the most options when taking these event photos. I like the fact I can connect the camera to my laptop while there and upload the pix live or within an hour of the event.