2 hdds in computer with XP on them

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fanatic, Nov 27, 2005.

1. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

Just picked me up a 74 gig raptor, plan on using it for windows and programs. Just curious, after I install windows and such on it, will I be able to put in my current 160 gig seagate in under secondary so that I can transfer the files that I need to?

I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to do the switch. Since I'm going to put windows and all the programs on the raptor, there's no use for it to be on the seagate too, but I figure the only way to get rid of windows completely on it would to do a reformat (if there's another way without reformatting I'd like to know). Unfortunately, there's a lot of stuff I don't want to lose on the seagate, and I'm unsure as to if it'll all fit on the raptor.

2. tragicher0

tragicher0 Before I couldn't even spell DBA, now I are one OT Supporter

If you had enough space on the raptor you could just ghost it so you wouldnt have to reinstall anything. That may be the first thing you want to check

Otherwise, just slap the raptor in as primary on ide0 and the other as a slave on ide0. install windows to the raptor. and then copy the files that you need from it when your all done.

youll have to reinstall any of your programs that you had on the old installation thought, you cant just move them over

3. fanatic

Yeah, that's not a problem, I'm just hoping I can fit everything I need to.

4. fanatic

Also, does anyone know if the 74 gigs is before or after the format?

5. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

if it's a 74 gig hd, you will have a few gigs less than that once it's formatted, which really irks me BTW.

6. ndnxtc

ndnxtc New Member

It always has the same capacity, formatting it doesn't change the physical capacity of the drive.

7. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

While the formatting/partitioning process does not change the physical capacity of the drive, it absolutely changes the useable capacity of it. For example, I bought a 160gig hd, after formatting/partitioning I was left with 152 gigs of useable space.

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.