2 hard drives failed at the same time

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jago, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

I have 2 WD hard drives in the same box (master and slave) and both died. I power on the computer, it turns on for a few seconds, and then completely dies. I can hear the drives start spinning up before everything shuts down. So I pulled both of them out and tried connecting them to another machine using one of those IDE to USB adapter deals. Each drive starts up and powers down within a few seconds of connecting power. Any ideas what could have happened?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Ok

The hard drives are ok, if you can hear them spinning it means they are still alive.

What im gambling is that the harddrives start a shutdown procedure.

For instance, if you start up the computer, then enter the bios , and then check the IDE drives, you should watch if a name appears that correlates with your harddisk. Check in the bios wether the (slave/master) settings are correct and equal to the jumper settings as found behind on your harddisk.

If those are ok(and make sure of it) then check the start up procedure.

Check in the boot if the disks are found, (press pause on your keyboard if you have to) then check if the correct drives are displayed also here as slave/master , if that's ok and a boot procedure follows to a shutdown then the bootsector might be messed up and a reinstall/reformat might be needed. But before that.

Try one disk at the time.

And last but not least, Make sure the power cables are connected correctly, and that the ide cable is connected properly.

Lets say if you tried it on 2 different computers, then its safe to say that the motherboard settings, electricallywhise are most likely correct. Litterary try to listen to the harddisk what it does. Abnormal sounds might indicate damage, but its pretty unlikely for 2 disks at the same time.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

weel, you have to consider the chance that you might have gotten a bad batch (if you bought them both around the same time)
    also, power supply could have surged them, but it's unlikely
    hook them up to another computer without the usb thing, i have one of those and it works 10% of the time.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Make sure each hard drive is the only thing plugged into a given power cable. (Each power cable draws power from a separate coil inside the main transformer in the PSU.) If they still don't work, call WD and tell them you bought two hard drives on MM/DD/YYYY with Serial Nos. XXXXXXX and YYYYYYY and each of them causes any computer they're connected to to shut off during bootup. That information will help them determine if they have a bad batch sitting on the store shelf, and if they already know about a bad batch, they'll be able to tell you whether your drives are part of it.

5. ZrOuT

ZrOuT New Member

are you sure they spin up? put your ear right on the drive.

It's very strange that both would die at the same time UNLESS both experienced a power failure such as a shock/shorted out, then you could have either a burned out board on both (very common with a power supply short) or even burned motors.

Just listen up and make sure they really spin, I have had some really quiet drivers that I even thought were spinning but it was the case vibration transferring to the drives, then I found a replacement board on ebay and HDD was like new

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Jago update?

7. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

Thanks guys. Last night I played around for an hour with one of the drives. Reset the bios to factory defaults. Just used one IDE cable with one drive only with no jumpers. After 4-5 trys, I said screw it and threw in a Knoppix CD which booted up fine and the machine didn't turn itself off surprisingly. I was able to access the drive finally and saw my data was all there. Then I rebooted and pulled the CD out. It booted right into Windows. :bigthumb: Tonight I'll try the 2nd drive.