2 gig chips in one slot on a PowerBook G4?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Nov 16, 2007.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

For a few months now, I've had one memory slot bad in my G4. I know there was that recall but my G4 doesn't have the right serial number range. :( I was told Apple charges a flat rate of $310 to fix anything.

I went into the Apple store to see if it was still the same price. One guy told me that "Since they make bigger ram now, you can just put one 2 gig chip in one slot. It'll save you money."

Since I've been in IT for 9+ years, I think he's an idiot. But I thought I'd ask you guys. I know the G4 supports up to 2 gigs, but can I put just one 2 gig chip in?

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i've got the same problem with mine and its not in the range. we need to make a thread on some big mac forum to have all the people that have this problem with the wrong serial to email/call apple to have something done about it.

my serial is W844707MQW3

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

There's already been a TON of threads on Apple's forums.

They're never going to do anything about it.

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

class action suit?

5. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

Check the stats now. They're both 4gb...

I don't know why it used to be 3gb, that never made sense. One slot can do 2gb, but the other cant?

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

they were running different chipsets, initially the mbp could only do 3 gigs as well.

7. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

If you have the new santa rosa.

Would someone care to explain to me why it could only address 1 gb in one of the slots on my generation of macbook?

I can't imagine a reason why the chipset could address 2 gb in one slot and 1 gb in the other... but I'm definitely not an cs major...

8. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

any benefits of running 4 gigs in my mbp?

my goddamn final cut pro won't re-authorize after the upgrade :Owned:

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

no idea if it was a chipset limitation or something imposed by apple to make room for the mac pros. maybe someone else knows?

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Your machine doesn't support 2GB chips. Time for a new machine or find a new motherboard on eBay or one of the many PowerBook fix-it sites.

11. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm trempted to find one on ebay. Anyone know if it's easy or hard to replace the motherboard yourself? I've done it on other laptops before, just not a mac.

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

HAHAHAH! Replace the MB on a PowerBook? Get a new machine. You'll pay less for it then you would a new motherboard for a G4. You can't just place a MB on a Mac like you can on a PC. Get a new MacBook Pro (latest release) if you wanna goto 4GB of RAM and that's really your only choice. Sorry.

13. verbal

verbal Active Member

When the slot first went bad I took it into the Apple store to see the cost to fix it...

$310.

Apple has a flat rate to fix out of warranty machines. And for that price they will fix EVERYTHING that is wrong with it, no matter how many parts need to be replaced.

14. itchypony

itchypony New Member

Even if you bought the low end 15" 2.4GHz MacBook Pro w/ 4GB of RAM, you're looking at $2699. That's what I paid for my G4 PowerBook DVI 4 or 5 years ago. I have a bad RAM slot and only 256MB. I tried to replace that stick with a 512MB and my PowerBook rejected it. Having only 256MB of RAM is a huge handicap (especially for a designer), but beyond that, I have no complaints. If I could upgrade my RAM over shelling out $3K for a new one, I would do it in a heartbeat.