2 Dual 2 ohm Subs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by midnite, Dec 17, 2003.

1. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

I have one ID12v.3 that is a dual 2 ohm design but I was thinking of buying another one. Is it possible that these could both be wired in 2 ohms? Also what would be a good amp. They are rated at 250 rms but a friend of mine is running his at 375 watts from a US Acoustics amp with great results.

Thanks

2. 04

04 Guest

Yes, you can wire them 2 ways.

First, wire each speaker with its voice coils in parallel. You will have 2 1ohm loads then. Then, wire each speaker in series with each other. You will have a 2ohm load.

Or, you can wire each speaker with its voice coils in series. You will have 2 4ohm loads. Then, wire each speaker in parallel with each other. You will have a 2ohm load.

How much do you want to spend on an amplifier?

3. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

thankyou very much :bigthumb:

Probably around 200 - 300. That US Acoustics amp my friend has was only like 180 from SD and i am greatly impressed by it :)

Of course i just checked SD and they dont carry the mono US Acoustics amps anymore :sad2:

4. 04

04 Guest

You could get either the JBL 1200.1, DEI 1100D, or Lanzar vibe 1200d for that price. They all put out around 1000 watts. Which would be plenty for your ID's and allow you to upgrade in the future to more if wanted.

5. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

Where is a good place to buy the DEI? Also how do you feel about the Crossfire VR1000?

thanks

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  6. 04

04 Guest

I think sounddomain used to have the DEI for less than 300 dollars, they dont have it anymore though. I have no experience with the Crossfire.

7. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

that crossfire is a DAMN solid amp, i'd rank it side by side, maybe even a bit above the DEI 1100d....

yeah SD had the dei 1100d and then the viper 1200d pretty cheap for a minute...

www.infinitecaraudio.com check out the pg tantrums...