MMA 2 Days to go, are you reconsidering?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GSPFAN, May 25, 2006.

1. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Anyone who figured HUghes would demolish Gracie reconsidering their viewpoint? I sure as hell think Gracie could and very well might beat Hughes. See that is the beauty of MMA, too many fights to list where one guy steps wrong and POOF it is over; Couture-Liddel, Arlovski-Sylvia, etc...

I just don't hope I don't hear ANY n00b booo's when this thing goes right to the ground.

2. L7

L7 Mr Negativity

When was the last time Royce fought someone who actually wanted to cave his face in? I remember his fight with Yoshida was no striking or something about old jiujitsu rules.

3. bdev

bdev New Member

No..can't see Royce doing it... things have progressed so much since his original domination..

4. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

well second fight was full mma

5. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I've already said it 100 times and I'm not changing my mind :o

Hughes by domination :coold:

6. f3rg

f3rg New Member

Hughes by GNP

7. teep

teep New Member

Too many people (sherdog mostly) are caught up in the mystique of Royce Gracie. He's a legend and should be well respected for what he's done, but he fought during a time where no one knew what bjj was and could pull hair to keep someone in guard. By current UFC rules Severn would have won that fight by a decision, someone with zero bjj knowledge at the time. Plus, I question Royce's athleticism despite his technique and knowledge on the ground. Hughes is an amazing athlete and is well rounded. People say he's a sucker for submissions, but his losses to people like Hallman were years ago. A man like Hughes could have earned a blackbelt in bjj easily during that time. He's not just a wrestler anymore, he's a world class grappler and actually not a bad striker.

Sorry for the rant, I know mostly everyone here agrees with me. Sherdog just annoys and frustrates me. Things like people ranking GSP as the #1 welterweight in the world or saying things like Nick Diaz would knock out Gomi and expose Hendo in Pride. :ugh:

8. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

Hughes by ref stoppage (punches)

9. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Nup Hughes should beat him I dont see hughes making a mistake big enough to end up being caught in a submission.

10. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

I just think Hughes is too damn strong (freakishly so for his size). I really donlt think it;s gonna make it past 2 rounds. On another note I predict Brandon Vera will win his fight in under 3 minutes.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

And it's whether you take that step that makes you a good fighter :hsugh:

Liddell had it in the bag. Arlovski fucked up major by not beating the shit out of Silvia while he stumbled from his punch. Both fighters made mistakes because their game was not better than their opponents...

I would say fights like Shogun's shoulder dislocation is a better example of what you're talking about... Even then I think plays a small role in a professional fight.

I don't like the UFC but I'll probably watch this fight for the hell of it. From what I've seen bout both fighters (seen plenty of Royce vids and a Hughes montage on Spike TV in addition to a couple fights) I'd have to say Hughes standes a better chance. Royce is getting old and his striking probably can't compare to someone who made their name in a more recent MMA world that was past the BJJ-rules-all stage.

12. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I think Gracie will take it......

13. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

i think gracie will get owned......... i want the old fucker to win, but i think hughes is gonna demolish him.

Hughes by triangle

14. Kuet

Kuet New Member

like i said searcher, gracie wins im sending you hundred bucks

15. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I'd love to see Royce win but I don't think he has a chance. He can't knock out Matt and Matt is going to power out of any sub attempts. Hughes by decision.

16. chechen

if i hear royce says "this is my house" one more time.. im gonna kill myself

17. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

to those who beleive its gonan go to decision.... oh my no way! Hughes round two by ref stoppage. Or hell even throwing in the towel. Everyone see that fight in pride, he couldn't take it and his corner threw in the towel/

18. chechen

after an hour and a half dude :hsugh:

19. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

:ugh:

20. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

Id like to see Gracie do well. This one is creating anxiety amongst a lot of us I think.

21. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I don't need any money.....I just think Royce has new stuff as well......It isn't like he hasn't evolved as well.......His defense in the guard is excellent........Hughes isn't nearly as strong as Kimo was, only talking about strength......I don't think Hughes will get a body slam on Royce......I do see a very very cautious ground game.......Both of them know one slip and poof game over.....As for striking Hughes will dominate that if they stand up......That could be a very good game plan for Hughes....

22. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

It was obvious the minute you started talking in this thread that your not a fan of UFC, maybe Pride or others, just obviously not UFC.

YOu say, "Both fighters made mistakes because their game was not better than their opponents..."

Both fighters made mistakes YES, but the rest of your sentence is jargon. Hughes "could" get caught in a sub easily. Yes I know Gracie is older now and is going to try fight in new world of MMA, but your a FOOL if you think that Gracie is going to come out fighting the same way he always has. It isn't even logical, you discredit him too much right there. The Gracie family has pride and always will about their capabilities. I'm sure Hughes will beat him, BUT this will be far from a beat down.

23. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I watched 30 minutes of the Spike TV documentary on their training and past fights and saw plenty about how Royce has changed his training. The fact of the matter is you can't change your training 4 months before a fight and expect to come out a different fighter. ROyce will fight the same, maybe try more striking, but I guarantee even such a high quality fighter as he will not adapt that quickly. Sure it will not be a "beatdown"... I think you took my comment a little too seriously. Both are world class fighters, and it's a great matchup.

My comment on the "it's that one slip up that could cost you the fight" type comment you made was that you cited two fights in which the fighters won thanks to their opponents lack of reaction. That is not a matter up to luck or fate as you made it sound, it's a matter of who is better (we all make mistakes.. it's just important not to make them in crucial moments).

24. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

i dont know, could be fun to watch.

25. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

if hughes catches him in a submission would he tap :o ??