GUN 2 cops who missed snake and killed 5 year old boy to be charged

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Sep 8, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.koco.com/news/14065785/detail.html
    Noble Officers To Be Prosecuted In Boy's Death

POSTED: 9:46 am CDT September 7, 2007
    UPDATED: 4:16 pm CDT September 7, 2007
    [NEWSVINE: Noble Officers To Be Prosecuted In Boy's Death] [DELICIOUS: Noble Officers To Be Prosecuted In Boy's Death] [DIGG: Noble Officers To Be Prosecuted In Boy's Death] [FACEBOOK: Noble Officers To Be Prosecuted In Boy's Death] [REDDIT: Noble Officers To Be Prosecuted In Boy's Death] [RSS] [PRINT: Noble Officers To Be Prosecuted In Boy's Death] [EMAIL: Noble Officers To Be Prosecuted In Boy's Death]
    NOBLE, Okla. -- Cleveland County's top prosecutor has decided to prosecute two Noble officers involved in the shooting death of a 5-year-old boy.

A Noble officer fired his gun at a snake more than a month ago, and the bullet ricocheted and hit 5-year-old Austin Haley in the head.

The Noble Police Department and the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation looked into the case.

Cleveland County District Attorney Greg Mashburn explained on Friday that he took no pleasure in filing a pair of second-degree manslaughter charges against the officers, identified as Brad Rogers and Shawn Richardson.

They could face up to four years in prison if convicted of the felony charge.

However, he said that the officers failed to take reasonable care by firing shots in an open area at a non-poisonous snake. According to police reports, the officers responded on Aug. 3 to a report of a snake in a birdhouse.

Jack Tracy said he was fishing with Austin that night when he saw the first shot hit the water near where they were standing. As he pulled his grandson to his side, he said, a second shot hit the boy in the head.

According to Noble City Manager Bob Wade, two officers were investigating a call from a family about a snake. Wade said it was in a rural, wooded and isolated area near a pond with no houses.

Officers shot at the snake but then heard Austin screaming. He was taken to an area hospital where he died.

"All I can say is that this is extremely tragic," Wade said. "We are just devastated."

Stay tuned to Eyewitness News 5 and koco.com for further details.

---

Glad they're being charged but only looking at 4 years max? I bet anyone of us would be looking at a good deal more time then that.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not a whole lot of info, but based on teh way it was presented, there was not a fear if immediate serious physical harm, so I don't think discharging a firearm was the proper course of action -- even if someone was not killed. Very foolish.

3. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I hope those officers feel like shit. I hope the guilt rots in their bones for the rest of their lives.
    Then again, in the world we live in today, they probably feel no remorse.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:dunno: a couple guys at the cop uniform place in town were talking about having shot a snake in the middle of the road, cause it looked like a viper and taken its body with him so that someone could tell him what it was.

I'm just hoping this lovely fellow wasn't one of Tallahassee's Finest. :hsd:

5. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Whats with your posts in WMD with you lately man? Im sure they feel unbelievably mortified that their extreme lack of judgment resulted in the death of a child. They are going to have to live with this mistake for the rest of their lives. They are in their own personal hell right now, which is more than enough punishment with time served.

6. Slick26

What's with my posts in WMD lately? Care to explain? Cuz I'm not following.
    Did I do something wrong elsewhere or what. Or do you just have a problem with me.

7. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Some of your comments have been a bit off the cuff. I dont want to hijack the thread, so just consider it feedback. I dont have a problem with you either.

8. Slick26

Well I apologize, but I still don't know what comments you are talking about. Maybe you can pm some details if you feel like it so I can understand exactly what you mean.
    Otherwise, I'll just take it as advice to calm down a bit... or something. Even though I really don't see the problem.

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Theirs another thread in here about the original incident with a little more detail, it happened in the backyard of a residential development no excuse for discharging a weapon in that area over a non poisonous snake in a tree.

10. Formula-95

Formula-95 2:32 PM 5-13-09 Never Forget, Hamburglar OT Supporter

i cant believe you actually would say something like that. i mean it wasnt some random gangbanger shooting just to shoot. yea, they shouldnt have shot at a snake in the first place, but they are law enforcement officers, not hoodlums. im sure they are feeling the worst that they've ever felt in their lives over this. i feel sorry for the kid, but i also feel sorry for the officers. they made a bad mistake. a really bad mistake, and they will probably do time for it. but when they get out...its still going to be with them. its a really sad situation.

11. ozwald

ozwald OT Supporter

:rolleyes: i hope its on their minds everyday, they fucked up big time

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i hope to god nothing like that ever happens to my son. those officers' fathers would be burying their sons.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I hope there is a civil suit where the shooter has to give up every penny he earns for the rest of his life.

14. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

Officers probably just saw it as an excuse to shoot something.

If it was in a birdhouse then they were probably shooting up....not terribly
    brilliant.