2 Channel Vs. 4 Channel Amps ...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Teknék, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Teknék

Teknék Guest

i was wondering if someone can please list the advantages and disadvantages of four channel amps and two channel amplifiers. i have the chance to buy a mad discounted jensen 4 channel 600 watt amplifier from a friend, but i wanted to know more about them first.

i know four channel can amplify four speakers, and a two channel can only amplify two speakers - but, can an amplifier also amp up your sub woofer? or do you have to buy a mono ampilifier just for that?

thanks in advance for any help, peace out.

2. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

take the positive for one channel and a negative from another and that makes it bridged for the sub.

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

ok let me correct you on yoru statments

a four channel amp can power more speakers than 4 but it cant power less teh 2 it all in how you hook them up the same for a 2 cchannel it can power any weere from 1-as many as you can hook up if they are not hooked up with the right impedence you will fry the amp you can power a sub off a 2 channel amp wiht no problem and jensen=crap no matter how good of a deal you got on it its still junk it might say 300 watts but it wont put out more than 300

4. Teknék

Teknék Guest

what would you recommend to be a good amp then? are all amps compatiable with all car speakers? and can someone give me the advantage of a 2 channel amp vs. a 4 channel amp? also, what's "ampendence"? is that the amp's power distrubution to all the speakers?

thanks again for any help ... i need the knowledge.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

for a decnet priced amp look at a rockford or an alpine the quality is way better than jensen

Impedence is tehrestitance of the speakers to little is bad i would not go below 2 ohm unless you have an amp that will go that low

all amps are compatible with car speakers

as far as 2-4 chanel it all depends on your intened use

6. LegendTodd

LegendTodd Guest

The main advantages of a four channel amplifier is ease of installation, space efficiency, and cost.A four channel can amplify 4 speakers or three speakers by bridging two channels to one mono channel and powering a subwoofer.

Two channel amplifiers. More expensive (because you buy two separate amps), more advanced installation, but has the potential to sound better by dedicating a Class A/B to your front stage and a seperate mono low impedence stable amplifier for subwoofers.

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

using two two cannel amps will also usaly allow you to get more power but more power= bigger wire batteries distro blocks ect

8. Teknék

Teknék Guest

also how do "compacators" fit in with all this? do those allow you to feed a whole another power source to your sound system so you don't drain to much on the car battery? also, how long do those things last? and, is it worth it?

thanks again, peace out.

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

capaciters are junk any one who reocmneds one is uneducated in car audio they are more a banaid than any thing else they act lieka quick realse battery but the will lower your line volatge and with realy high power systems liek mine it would take 4 or more of them to do any good at all

10. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Actually, my brother has capacitors on his and it's a great help, it's saved him from having to put another battery in his Mustang.

A 4 channel amp really isn't worth the time, you're better off getting 2, bridge it, and boom, double the power.
    There's also alot of new digital amps coming out which link together w/o you really having to do anything, so you could take say 2 Rockford Fosgate digital amps, hook 'em up, and they cooperate. While I'm not impressed w/ their decks, I do like the Punch 12's and the digital amps. If you want to save a buck or 2, check out Memphis for an amp, or go to a nice stereo shop and find out if they have any used equipment. If you can find a USAmp 100HC for about $700, get it, you'll get about 1000w out of it.

11. Mikel

Mikel .

Moving to Electronics forum.

12. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

how do you figgure buying a cap saved any money they are more expensive than most batteryies unless you get a yellow top but it would help way more than any cap

and a 4 chanel would be easier than using two amps less wire less noise ect

if you jstu want a sub a 2 chn is fine but if you want to run a speaker full of cars at lest one 4chn an possibly a mono block or a 2 chn briddging an amp wont nessisarly give ti more power

and you couldget a d2 and ahve 2000 watts power for jstu as much if not cheaper than a USAmp 100HC