2.5" Laptop/mp3 player HDD HELP!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rick8325, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Rick8325

Rick8325 New Member

I have a 10gb Hitachi 2.5" ata-5 HDD out of my broken portable Archos mp3 player that still works fine. I have it maxed out with around 4,000 mp3's and no way of getting to them to copy over to my new mp3 player. I tried to get one of those cases/enclosures that turn internal hard drives into external USB hard drives and it wasn't working properly. It kept freezing my comp up when I would plug it in as it kept spinning and clicking. I am pretty sure it was because the case that I bought was not for ata-5 HDD's. I can't find any of them anywhere and I do not want to buy one off ebay because of the ridiculous shipping charges. Is there any kind of way I can hook this laptop up to my computer as someone mentioned in Circuit City as a slave drive? If so what would I need for that?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Yeah, there's an IDE cable thing that will convert from the standard PC IDE size to the mini flavor used by notebooks. I don't know what its called though.

Is the hard drive ok though? You had "spinning and clicking" and that implies a dead hard drive.

3. Rick8325

Rick8325 New Member

Yeah as long as I can remember when the mp3 player was working it would spin and click constantly (my new mp3 player does it also only less quieter). I feel so stupid because I could have actually transferred the songs to my new player when it was broke because I could still get it to stay on for a few minutes at a time. I wish I could go back in time and not put the final nail in its coffin by throwing it against the wall. :o

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've heard thats a typical problem with those drives. If I remember correctly, the clicking is due to the firmware not calculating the drive's temperature change to effectively find the tracks. Since it can't find the tracks, it continues to reset itself - hence the clicking. The drive was pretty much a goner anyways unless you wanted to try taking it to a company that specializes in data recovery.

I've got an Archos FM Recorder (20gb Hitachi) and sometimes I think that drive is on borrowed time (but I back up the data for when it goes). When it does go, I'll just swap it out with possibly a larger 2.5" drive and put it in the Archos player.

5. Rick8325

Rick8325 New Member

Mine was out of an Archos. Piece of shit worst mp3 players around. I am so pissed I have to re-download all these songs again. I don't really think it would be worth taking it to a data recovery company because it's only 10gb's.