GUN 1st trip ever to a gun range

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tetaplum, Dec 19, 2005.

1. tetaplum

tetaplum OT Supporter

1st trip ever to a gun range **update**

my dad is taking my brother and me to the range this christmas break...i have never been to one nor shot a real gun before so im pretty excited to go. we will be renting from the club which means im not sure what we will be shooting but i guess im just wondering what i can expect there. if given the choice what type of gun should i rent? i cant wait:naughty:

update:
    ended up going this afternoon to a place called firing line in westland mi, it was pretty amazing. we rented both a 22 s&w and a 9mm sig with 100 rounds for the 22 and 200 rounds for the 9mm. with an hour range time the total came to around 100 bucks. i really liked the sig im not sure what exact model it was. the 22 wasnt too exciting it was kinda like shooting a bb gun. the nice thing about the range was that it had about 40 guns avalible for rental everything was only $9 an hour. i was super impressed with the staff and the range itself i would def recommend anyone in the detroit area to check it out:bowdown:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  2. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

If they have any .22's, start with that. Once you get comfortable with it, then move on to something larger.

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

If your dad, brother, or yourself have any questions, then make sure to ask the people working at the range.

Follow all the safety rules.

And if you're using Semi-autos, make sure the gun is pointed downrange when you load the thing... It's scary as hell to see someone holding a gun sideways pointed right at you, put a magazine in it, and slam the slide forward.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

Read and heed: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=190118

Rule 1
    ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    The only exception to this occurs when you have a firearm in your hands and you have personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as you put it down, Rule 1 applies again.

Rule 2
    NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
    You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

Rule 3
    KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

Rule 4
    BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
    You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

start out with 22's, and then shoot a Glock 9mm :o

6. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i don't personally think you need to start out w/ a .22 if you don't want. just go for a 9mm. cheap bullets, hardly any recoil.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

:werd:

Unless you're a little girl, just start out with whatever you want unless it's like a .44 Magnum or something.

And if you feel uncomfortable or don't know what you're doing, don't be afraid to ask questions... that's the BIGGEST thing i've seen with new shooters, they're afraid to ask questions. All ranges are really big on safety and making sure you're comfortable in what you're doing, so even if you think your question is stupid, just ask it.

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:nono:

first time shooting, a larger caliber will develop a flinch thats hard to break.

22 ftw, then 9mm

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

.22 -> .38 -> .357 -> 9mm -> ?

That's over the course of several trips, not all at once. If you're really hard up to shoot a semi-auto, throw the 9mm in with the .38 a little bit.

10. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

That's what I was always taught.

I put about a million rounds through my 10/22 as a kid before I shot anything else, to this day I dont expect recoil.

11. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

if you develop a flinch from a 9mm, you're either a pussy, or you were beaten as a child. otherwise, a 9mm shouldn't be any worse than a .22. all a .22 pistol is gonna do, is waste his money in rental charges until he gets bored of it in 5 minutes and springs for the 9mm.

12. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The first handgun I shot was a 9mm and I thought it kicked pretty good :o

Of course I was in like 5th grade.

13. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

if you rent any semiautos from the range...they insist you lock it open and carry the mag seperately when you leave the lanes

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  14. tetaplum

tetaplum OT Supporter

i havent gone yet my dads off work next week so i think thats when we'll go

thanks for all the help guys, i have a feeling that this is going to make me want my own gun....

15. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

it cost me approx. $39 to shoot a Sig P229 (50 rounds) at the range last weekend. that included gun rental, ammo purchase, safety equipment/target, and range fee.

16. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

:ugh:

.22 < 9mm, when it comes to recoil. Start with .22, and you'll never flinch on recoil, EVER.

9mm there's still a possibility that you will, just because it IS harder than .22.

Why all the hate for .22?

17. Zidane

Zidane OT Supporter

im sure your gonna have lots of fun its pretty exciting but first like other people say you should start out with a .22 it feels like just shooting a bb gun and start moving up

18. tetaplum

tetaplum OT Supporter

updated

19. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Glad you had fun :bigthumb:

I enjoy my .22lr for practicing. So cheap to shoot and you can work on sight alignment and trigger control with it.

20. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:bowdown:

awesome dude :coold:

and 22's are the shit :squint: