1st Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by SF03, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SF03

SF03 New Member

Current Weight/Height/Age: Average at around 190 lb at 5’9”. I am 26.

Goal: I don’t really have a goal in mind bur rather want to use this as log as a way to measure the success and see how long I can stick with it. I’ve been lifting weights on and off for over 5 years but never so consistently (pick it up for a few month every other day and then drop it). Hopefully this log will keep me on track.

Diet: I don’t follow a consistent diet. Yes I should be but just knowing myself a strict diet is not going to happen. I love food too much (not McDonalds or Taco bell) but I get Burritos, Indian, Chinese, Burgers all the time and not really going to change that. I just love the variety of food too much and not willing to give it up to just be more ‘cut’. Rather I’ll keep lifting hard and if it happens it happens but if not…I am not going to kick myself for it.

Supplements: I saw a supplement mix that I saw recommended by Christian Thibaudeau on T-nation website a while back. I mix the following into a shake and take it right after a workout. Might be too much but that’s what I take. I try to remember to bring it but doesn’t happen all the time (In that case I just purchase Muscle Milk or something from 24 hour fitness).
    1. L-Glutamine 500 mg w/B-6 (1 Capsule)
    2. BCAA 1000mg (1 Capsule)
    3. PFO Pure Fish Oil Liquid (just pure in a little bit into the shake)
    4. Creatine Surge (1/2 scoop)
    5. Econo Whey Protein (1 Scope)

10/08/07 (Monday)
    Squats-5x5 – 5th Set was at 235
    Deadlifts-5x5 – 5th Set was at 225
    Bench Press-5x5 – 5th Set was at 225

10/10/07 (Wednsday)
    Light Squats 4x8 – 4th set was at 205
    Good Mornings-3x8-12 3rd set was at 135 (Felt that I could have done more)
    Standing Shoulder Press-5x5 – 4th Set was at 125, 5th Set was 135 for only 3 reps
    Pullups-35 Pull Ups

Played Roller Hockey in the Evening

10/12/07 (Friday)
    Squats- 4x5 4th Set at 235, 1x3 245, 1x8 at 185
    Bent Over Row- 5th Set was for 175
    Incline Bench-5x5 – 5th Set at 185

10/13/07 (Saturday)
    Hiked for 3 hours

10/15/07 (Monday)
    Squats-5x5 – 5th Set was at 245
    Deadlifts-5x5 – 5th Set was at 225, 6th Set was at 255àI Couldn’t pick it up
    Bench Press-5x5 – 5th Set was at 235àDid it 3 times

2. SF03

SF03 New Member

10/17/07

I am going to try to be a little more detail on all the exercises that I do rather then just put the 3 main once. Also, in the next few days i'll take some pictures and measurements just for kicks i guess. This way i know where i started and how am i doing.

10/17/07
    Warm Up
    Squat with a heavy ball - 5lb or 8lb (squatting with toes pointing outwards and then when fully standing kind of throwing the ball against a wall)
    1st 25 (fast)
    2nd 25 (fast)
    Abs: 2 Set of 20 on a inflatable Ball

Lunges 4x8 (for each foot) –
    1st. [email protected]
    2nd. [email protected]
    3rd. [email protected]
    4th. [email protected]
    Abs: B/w each set I did 12 reps on each side (holding 45lb plate and pulling up)

Good Mornings-3x8
    1st. [email protected]
    2nd. [email protected]
    3rd. [email protected]
    Abs: Held 25lb plate and rotated the torso from side to side between 1st and 2nd set for 20 on each side

Standing Shoulder Press-5x5
    1st. [email protected] (30lb on each side + bar)
    2nd. [email protected]
    3rd. [email protected]
    4th. [email protected]
    5th. [email protected] (Failed to pick it up even once…just kind of held it there and put it back on rack)
    b/w each set, I did 10 side raises with 10lb plate (this is the reason I think I failed on last one but my shoulders feel a lot more sore then last week where I only did the standing shoulder press)

Pullups-40 Pull Ups

Dips – 1st Set 20 Dips, 2nd Set 10 Dips

Playing Roller Hockey in the Evening

3. SF03

SF03 New Member

10/17/07

10/19/07 - Got the date wrong in the title

Squats- 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 3 [email protected] - Personal Best
    6. 8 [email protected]

Bent Over Row- 5x5
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 5 [email protected] - Personal Best but not the greatest form

Incline Bench-5x5
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 3 [email protected] - Personal best

Other:
    1. 20 Dips
    2. 5 Pull ups (palms facing inward)
    3. 10 Dips

No Ab work today at all. I was thinking about starting to dedicate 2 off days to pure ab work. 1 being Saturday and the other being Tuesday (the other off days are Sunday and Thursday but those will be completely off days because Monday is a really hard work out day and Thursday I am too tired from Hockey).

I am probably going to use the Ab work out from Christian Thibaudeau. He is estimated each day of pure ab work should be around ½ hour. I’v never trained my abs this hard and this will be a nice change. I also think that it might tighten my love handles (that’s the main issues I have with my abs but that’s a whole other topic).

Link to his article if anyone cares:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459658

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  4. SF03

SF03 New Member

10/22/07

10/20/07 (Saturday) – No exercise
    10/21/07 (Sunday) – No Exercise
    Terrible over all weekend in terms of working out. Didn’t go to the gym…didn’t go hiking…didn’t even do a single pushup L

10/22/07 (Monday)
    Squats-5x5
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 5 [email protected]
    Abs: Did the pull to each side with 45lb plate @12 for each side

Deadlifts-5x5

1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 5 [email protected]
    Abs: Did Abs on the blow up ball (the big rubber one) 12 reps b/w each set

Bench Press-5x5
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 3 [email protected]
    Abs: Did leg rises b/w sets @12 reps

Other:
    1. 135 Bench press (closed grip) @12 reps to work out triceps
    2. [email protected] latteral raises for shoulder work
    3. [email protected] arm curls (for bicept) on an incline bench (actually really burned)
    4. [email protected] latteral raises for shoulder work
    5. [email protected] just standing curls
    6. Clalf Raises (45lb) 30 times…really really burned

Weighted myself after the workout and i am currently 197lb. I feel like i am getting a lot stronger and looking better but the shape of the body is turning more to body builder (kind of square with bigger muscles) rather then more if an athletic body. I think that i am going to do this workout for another 1.5 week (do it fully next week) and then try to do something that has a lot more reps to it. Haven't decided yet. I really really hate to do cardio but i figure if i am to 'tone' up, I would need to do it. We'll see what happens.

5. SF03

SF03 New Member

I guess the question I would ask (will think about it myself but if anyone actually looks at this thing and might offer some advice). What kind of cardio can i do without running on a treadmill or using some of the elliptical machine?

Maybe using low weights and just bang out 50 reps at a time...or 20 reps of squats followed by 20 dips, followed by 5 pulls...just something enough to get your hurt pumping...would this be considered cardio?

6. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Look at bigdamray's log and check out his barbell complexes. That kind of stuff is good for cardio.

7. SF03

SF03 New Member

10/24/07

10/24/07

Over all I had a terrible day at the gym. I just wasn’t feelin it and really had to convince myself to even go. I went out last night (didn’t get enough sleep) and had a few drinks and just wasn’t ready to go. However, I drag myself to the gym during lunch and have some kind of workout…it would be better then no workout at all (you miss 1 day, then 2 days and so it goes). :hs

Warm Up
    Rolled on the foam cylinder for a few minutes for my lower back (it wasn’t feel good)
    Sit ups (On a angled set up they have at the gym) 20
    Push Up 25

Lunges 4x8 (for each foot) –
    1. 8 [email protected]
    2. 8 [email protected]
    3. 8 [email protected]
    4. 8 [email protected]
    Abs: B/w each set I did 10 reps on each side (holding 45lb plate and pulling up)

Good Mornings-3x8
    1. 12 [email protected]
    2. 12 [email protected]
    3. 12 [email protected]
    Abs: Layed down and just did sit-ups on a matt.

Standing Shoulder Press-5x5
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 4 [email protected]
    Just gave up after 3…was dying while doing it :( :( :( :(

Pullups-5Pull Ups :(

Playing Roller Hockey in the Evening....hopefully will feel more up for it :)

8. SF03

SF03 New Member

10/26/07

10/26/07

Squats- 4x5, 1x3, 1x20
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 3 [email protected] - Personal Best but felt like I could have done even more J
    6. 20 [email protected]
    Abs. 10 to each side holding a 45lb plate

Bent Over Row- 5x5
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 2 [email protected] - Personal best but not the greatest form
    Abs: Did crunches with legs in the air b/w 1, 2, and 3rd set

Incline Bench-5x5
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 3 [email protected] - Personal Best (this is one of my weakest exercise in the past and it’s just amazing that I can do this much weight

Other:
    1. 10 [email protected] sited curls (with bench at lowest level…like incline bench)
    2. 5 Pull ups (palms facing inward)

9. SF03

SF03 New Member

10/29/07

10/27/07 (Saturday) – No Exercise – But I did help my buddy move so there was some kind of work exercise :x:
    10/28/07 (Sunday) – No Exercise – Pigged out too :mamoru:

10/29/07 (Monday)
    I am not feeling too well. Not sick but my throat is hurting and just feel a little off.
    Squats-5x5
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 0 [email protected] - Just held the bar…it was hurting my shoulders :greddy:.
    6. 10 [email protected]

Deadlifts-5x5
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 1 [email protected] - Probably could have done more weight

Bench Press-5x5
    1. 5 [email protected]
    2. 5 [email protected]
    3. 5 [email protected]
    4. 5 [email protected]
    5. 0 [email protected] - Just picked up the bar and held for 10 count :sadwavey:

I am thinking to finish this week strong with the same exercises and take 1 week off from all lifting and exercise (exception of hockey). Then start the week after with new routine. Something that incorporates more cardio type of exercise into it (including at least 20 min of cardio). I am getting stronger and larger but i want the more athletic look plus it would be great to cut just a bit (yeh yeh..abs are made in the kitchen and not the gym)

Weight: 196

10. SF03

SF03 New Member

10/30/07

10/30/07

So I am officially sick (no temperature but it's bec i am drinking theraflue).

So i think i am going to take the rest of the week off (i was going to go strong this week and then take 1 week off). However, I figure i'll move the off week forward.

I spend about 45 minutes in steam room and sauna yesterday and wishing to sweat it out but i guess no success.

We'll also pass on hockey tonight. I figure if i play...it's only going to get much worse.

11. SF03

SF03 New Member

10/30/07 - N/A
    10/31/07 - N/A - Getting sick -- Didn't even play hockey
    11/01/07 - Sick - No exercise (Designate as sick week)
    11/02/07 - Sick - No exercise (Designate as sick week)
    11/03/07 - Sick - No exercise (Designate as sick week)
    11/04/07 - Sick - No exercise (Designate as sick week)

12. SF03

SF03 New Member

11/05/07 – New Routine

11/05/07 – New Routine

So the time has come to switch my routine a bit. As I mentioned earlier the 5X5 routine was working great for me…I was gaining size and strength. Unfortunately, I was also starting to look body buildish (yes I know that I probably think of myself too much and that is am scrawny compared to majority of people on this board but I just didn’t like the built. I had a feeling I was going to be one of those guys at my gym who are relatively short (I am 5’9” and built like a fridge…but can lift a shit load of weight…it’s just not the look I want). I’d prefer to be built a little more athletic look…so a bit more defined.

So as of today I’ll try to also include my diet. It’s crap (on both the logical way of eating but if I keep track of majority of it at least I’ll realize how bad I am eating and might change a bit).

So the stats as of today:
    Weight 196
    I will do the measurements later today and put it into this log (I’ll try to remember the time..maybe before bed just so that I can compare week over week as well). The goal is to shrink the waist a bit and hopefully everything else will change as well a bit.

Workout
    Some quick abs work
    10 min on rowing machine
    10 min on Stairmaster type machine (not a Stairmaster but one of those machines which doesn’t hit the joints as hard plus had a place for your hands so you’re also working upper body a bit)

Squats – Goal was to do 8 sets of [email protected]
    1. 15 [email protected]
    2. 15 [email protected]
    3. 15 [email protected]
    4. 15 [email protected]
    5. 15 [email protected]
    6. 5 [email protected]
    - I couldn’t believe how difficult it was to do even 6 (note not a complete set of 6 too). I might have been doing the squats a bit wrong since my thigh was more tired than anything else but boy was I dead after words. I was dead after this.

- After the 1st 4 sets I did pull ups at an angle (the regular bar was squat rack and I was doing pull ups at an angle with my feet on the ground). This allowed me to do 10 good reps and still have strength to continue. They weren’t too hard but they weren’t too easy either and it let me concentrate on my muscle contraction.

- Right at the end I did military press for 25 reps with a 45lb bar

Diet
    - Woke up at 7 had 1 pint of milk (used my beer jag for milk…lol). 1 banana (usually I have a yogurt as well but couldn’t find one in refrigerator this morning)
    - At around 9 I had a large cup of coffee (half and half + sugar)
    - I worked out at around 12.15 to 1
    - Once the workout was done, I had one of those extreme drinks at 24 which has 50 grams of protein.
    - It’s now 2. I had not had lunch yet but will go get something quickly (not sure yet and will update tomorrow)
    - At 2 I had a burrito
    - At 6 I had dinner (Spagetti and chicken with tomatoes and onions for salad) and a glass of milk
    - At 10ish i had another large glass of milk
    - Also through out the day i had water (just put a bag of green tea in it for the day...at first it's strong but after a 2nd and 3d large cup it's just slightly flavored green tea)

As you can see the diet is shit. I can’t argue with that. I am not getting enough calories and the once I get are probably not that good. But will keep track and if you guys have some comments…it would be g

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  13. SF03

SF03 New Member

11/06/07

11/06/07

Workout
    Some Quick Abs workout
    Deadlifts
    – Still can’t believe how hard it is to go for 8 sets of 15 reps…but keep trying
    - When I was doing the 5X5…my record was 275 for 1 rep so this over 50% drop but still my endurance is terrible :noes:
    1. 15 [email protected]
    2. 15 [email protected]
    3. 15 [email protected]
    4. 15 Reps@115
    5. 10 Reps@115
    6. 10 Reps@115
    7. 10 Reps@115

20 min on Stairmaster type machine (not a Stairmaster but one of those machines which doesn’t hit the joints as hard plus had a place for your hands so you’re also working upper body a bit)
    - Since my heart was already pumping from the deadlift…it was difficult. I liked the cardio in the end of workout much better.

15 reps of bringing the bar (45lb) from my knees to shoulder and then doing a military press (again the endurance stinks)

Diet
    - Woke up at 8 had 1 pint of milk (used my beer jag for milk…lol). 1 Yogurt and a large cookie :)
    - At around 10 I had a large cup of coffee (half and half + sugar)
    - I worked out at around 12 to 1
    - At 1.30 I had a pastrami sandwich from Safeway (probably lots of calories :wtc: but they are so good)
    - Had Chicken/Pasta dinner with milk (same as last night)
    - 1 Cup of regular milk before bed

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  14. SF03

SF03 New Member

Week 1 of Cardio

So Monday was a start of my new workout routine. I felt like I gained a lot of strength doing the 5X5 but I also gained a bit of weight (was hitting close to 200) and my face was looking fatter + as I mentioned earlier I was looking more like the body building body rather then the pure athletic body…just my opinion.

So I will try to do cardio as much as possible for the next 3 weeks and eat a lot better. Lifting will be second on my list. If I have power then great but if I don’t it’s ok as well. What I would like to do fast is to lean out a bit.

Diet: If anyone has pointers based on this it would be great but I think it’s pretty clean. :x:

I drink lot’s of water through out the day and have coffee in the morning

Food
    Breakfast
    1. Glass of milk (large glass)
    2. Yogurt
    3. Banana
    Lunch
    1. Salad (a bit of chicken and tuna in eat) – just picking things from salad bar

Dinner
    1. Chicken breast (skinless)
    2. Some salad

Shake: Before I go to bed I put 1 scope of protein with half a banana and a little bit of milk + water.

Exercise:

11/12/07
    60 min Cardio
    11/13/07
    60 min Cardio
    11/14/07
    Hockey: 2 games actually – really got me tired
    11/15/07
    60 min Cardio
    11/16/07
    45 min Cardio
    11/17/07
    Played Hockey
    11/18/07
    Off Day + Cheat day on the food too

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  15. SF03

SF03 New Member

11/19/07 - 11/26/07

This is the Thanksgiving week so might be hard to keep good diet. - Will try to update the log daily

11/19/07
    35 min cardio (got kicked off bec gym has 30 min limit when full)
    20 pull ups
    20 dips
    11/20/07
    No Cardio - 50 Pull ups at home
    11/21/07
    60 min cardio + played pick up hockey
    11/22/07
    Played pick up hockey (2 days of hockey one after another is hard on me...don't know how the guys in NHL do it night after night
    11/23/07
    Nothing :(
    11/24/07
    Played pick up hockey outdoors - I count this as cardio
    11/25/07
    60 Min Cardio
    4 sets of squats - 135 pounds...15 times each

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  16. SF03

SF03 New Member

11/26/07 - 12/2/07

I don't really know about this whole cardio thing but figure i'll stick with it a few more weeks and see if anything changes.

11/26/07
    35 min cardio
    10 pull ups (at one time)
    15 dips
    11/27/07
    Played 100 Min Pick up Ice hockey (usually I play roller)...this was a great work out as i am not that good at ice skating so my whole legs were hurting the next day
    11/28/07
    Played roller-hockey
    11/29/07
    Lazy on this day - just came home and did nothing after work :(
    11/30/07
    Cardio for 60 min
    12/01/07
    Lazy - Nothing
    12/02/07
    Lazy - Nothing

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  17. SF03

SF03 New Member

12/3/07 - 12/9/07

12/3/07 - 12/9/07
    Comments: Cardio is just not working the way that i thought it would. I think i actually gained weight :(
    But i want to give this a few more weeks and go from there before i judge

12/3/07
    Cardio for an hour and 15 min :)
    12/4/07
    Lifting:
    1. Deadlift: 4X10@145
    2. Squats: 4X10@135
    3. Dips: 5X10@ with 15lb
    4. Pullups: 2 - Figure concentrate on those tomorow
    Cardio: Will be playing ice hockey
    12/5/07
    12/6/07
    12/7/07
    12/8/07
    12/9/07

18. SF03

SF03 New Member

5/23/08 - 5/30/08

Well...I got lazy and took 5 month off :wtc:

So i am going to try to pick this up again :)

5/23
    45-degree back extension 3x12 (hands behind my head)
    Back squat 5x5 - 135,185,205,215,225
    Bench press 5x5 - 135,185,190,195,205
    Deadlift 5x5 - 135,155,175,195,215

Shoulder - Hold 25 pounds in each hand and lift with shoulders - 50 times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.