GUN 1st time benchrest shooting w/ my budget 10/22 v.targetpics

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Laurel, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I'm satisfied with it as a first try. MG's Shilen barrel, Hogue OM stock, and the VQ hammer with a cheapy scope. I was shooting Federal Classic ammo. I still have a lot of room for improvement . :hs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd just like to point out that the paper is ripped between the holes. :mamoru:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Nice shooting pardner! :beer:

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Looks pretty good.

So you liking the rifle so far?

4. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I'm really happy with it! I do miss MG's Kidd trigger, I like the really clean break, but the VQ hammer really makes a huge difference!

5. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

those look like the targets from Kenmore Gun range.

6. Yeah. We went down this morning. We live about half a mile away.

7. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

You guys check out the gun range off 180th and Everett/Bothell HW?

They want you to pay a minimum of $50 for an annual fee and 12 bucks an hour to shoot there. :greddy:

8. Laurel

Laurel New Member

We got lucky and it was almost empty when it opened. A positive to not having anything to do on Easter.:wiggle:

9. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Just 50 yds.

10. Laurel

Laurel New Member

We went there looking for ammo once. It was really strange and seemed very expensive to shoot at.

11. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Yeah, I think its a waste of money but somehow people with money will join. I like that Sams Gun Shop is $125 a year and can shoot whenever you want for however long you want. It'll cost you 125 bucks just to shoot 12 times at the other gun range.

12. Shooting Sports Northwest? I've been there, but never shot there. That place looks like a total fucking ripoff. $50 is the cheapest annual membership, plus the hourly rate, and all you can do is shoot targets just like any other pistol range. If you pay the crazy $250 annual plan + hourly rates you can shoot their steel targets... as long as you buy their frangible ammo. :ugh: I'd much rather shoot at any of the other indoor ranges in the area. Of course, they make a big deal that you can use the "lounge" if you're a member. I wandered into the "lounge" once. It is a little room with a few couches and a vending machine and a TV. WOW! Sign me up. If I want to sit on a couch and watch TV I can do it at home.

13. 50 yards.

14. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Sams is a great place to shoot. That's where we go to shoot handguns when we don't want to go to MG's family's cabin.

15. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

:rofl: no shit. so lame.

16. Yeah, Sam's is a way better deal. You can shoot centerfire rifle at Sam's with that membership too. To shoot centerfire rifle at SSNW you need the $250 + range time membership. :ugh:

If you want to shoot centerfire rifle without any membership, you can go to Norpoint.

17. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Yeah I like Sam's. I just don't like the kid that works there in the gun shop. I don't think he works there anymore. I think I went in there the day it was last day to go to college full time or something.

18. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

Don't they only allow .22 at Sams?

19. If you're a member, or a LEO you can shoot centerfire rifle.

EDIT: I think they only allow it on 1 of the bays.

20. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Um... yeah. So anyway, does anyone have any recommendations regarding how to shoot more accurately?

21. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Besides working on your technique, different/better ammo would probably reap the greatest rewards. Try out some Wolf, and some of the better Eley stuff. For cheaper ammo, I've had good luck with Federal auto-match (at shorter range, it's not very consistent velocity wise and gives me larger verticles), CCI products (the Green Tag match stuff is fairly hit or miss though for me), American Eagle, and surprisingly Blazer 22. Those are just some that I like to keep around to start R&D'ing rimfires with. IME Wolf is universally pretty damn good, and it's craazy craazy expensive like some of the Lapua/Tennebrex/SK stuff is (relatively speaking, of course).

Just show up at the range with a slew of targets, and a ton of ammo. Shoot 5 rounds at each target, and compare them. Usually when a 22 likes something, it "really" likes it.

22. That barrel really likes the Wolf. They didn't have any at the range today, and I didn't have any left, so no Wolf today. I'll see if they have it later this week and get some if they do. I've tried a few kinds of Eley in it, and I haven't found any that it likes so far. It shoots alright with the Federal Auto-Match, I have a few hundred, and that's what she used for her initial zero. The Federal Classic actually shoots pretty well, and I had a couple of boxes left over, so that's what she was using for those pictures above.