TAT 1st tat vs. free tat!

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Labster, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

My good friend last year told me that if I ever wanted to get a tat done to let him know because his brother was a tattoo artist. Anyway, fast forward to this summer and at his wedding his brother told me that if I wanted to get a tat done that he would do it for free. Being a college student, free always gets my ears perked so I started thinking about various designs that I had been thinking about since I turned 18 (I'm 22 now) and I settled on getting a trinity symbol under my bicep for my first tattoo. Anyway, he did it at his house and before you all get all up in arms about sanitation and such, he has a full set up in home and has been tattooing for 7 years and does amazing work! If anyone is in the Erie, PA area, let me know and I'll hook you up with his number/email address. Anyway, here's the pic. Sorry about the pic quality. I'll take a better one later on tonight. Let me know what you guys think

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/public/pview/10914/IMG_1036.jpg

2. Bill The Butcher

Bill The Butcher Active Member

did you tip him at least

3. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

That's cool still.

4. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I gave him $75, I know that at a shop it would have cost me probably $150 or so plus tip and he's now a good friend of mine. I'm trying to figure out what to get on my left bicep to get some symmetry going...

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Couldn't care less if they have a full setup at their house, I'd still never do it.

6. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

Why is that?

edit: noob/lurker question.:hs:

7. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Health Departments won't license a studio in a house unless its a separate entity. (it has it's own entrance, own bathroom, scrub-room, etc.) This isn't nationwide but it is in Ontario, Canada as well as a few states in the US.

8. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

I see. Thanks.

9. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I wasn't asking for an opinion about the fact that it was done in his house, just about the work...

10. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

:hsugh: It was done in a house. Enough said.

11. Tron

Tron New Member

my artist right now is working out of his house, its fully licenced, his house is the only one i'd go to because of the licence to do it out of his house haha, he's waiting to get a new shop because his burned down last year :hs:

12. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

so you're saying that it's not well done? so much for good fellowship amongst the people in the Bodymod section of OT.

13. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Good fellowship? :ugh: Where'd that come from? Did I call you a queer for getting a celtic knot? No. I simply stated my opinion on getting something done in a house. If someone is a good reputable artist there is no reason they shouldn't or want to be tattooing out of a shop. It's plain and simple.

Post a good quality picture and I'll judge the tattoo. You can't judge quality when you can't even tell if it's good line work.

14. KungFool7

KungFool7 keep driving—it's getting earlier

AB is pretty much right on all 3 points.

1. Having a tattoo doesn't put you in a club where everyone automatically tells you it rocks. Shit, Wait until joy division pops in here.

2. EVERYONE IN THE FUCKING US has a friend or a friend of a friend that does "fucking amazing work" that works out of his own house. I get real tired of people seeing my tattoos and saying "Dude, my buddy has his own gun and everything, he rocks. you should get some work done by him". Maybe he's an OCD clean freak...but still, there are better options out there...in inspected and reputable shops.

3. It's a blurry pictures. shading looks good from what I can tell, but you might as well be showing us a picture of Elmo fistfucking Genghis Khan. can't see shit.

15. 1349

1349 Kruzifixxion

Rather be safe

16. TheOutlawTorn

TheOutlawTorn New Consequence Machine

Better pics needed and no way in hell i'd get one out of a house.

17. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Sorry about my poor attitude, it's been a rough past few weeks with things such as a death in the family and school related stress.

JB is by far one of the most respected artists in the Erie area and has an outstanding portfolio. I should have clarified that it is a shop that's run out of his home, small studio type of set up and he is licensed. He inks when he wants to and when it fits into his schedule as a general contractor. Most of the work he does now is for friends and family or just based on referrals from previous clients. He used to work for a shop but ended up getting screwed over when one of his partners was dealing coke there and he was oblivious to the situation until he got wrapped up in a lawsuit by NY, where he was then working.
    As for a better pic, yes I'm sorry about the quality of the pic. I will definitely take another as soon as it's healed, right now it's scabbing and doesn't exactly look it's best.
    Once again sorry for my poor attitude. Just a lot on my mind.

18. BedBunny

BedBunny Guest

I see where you are coming from.

My feelings as licensed professional who is not allowed to to set up a practice in my home due to state regs is that I would love to though.

19. thom9719

thom9719 New Member

I think it looks cool, I've been thinking about a tattoo forever, but I want it to be something relating to my life. I can't decide how big, where, or what design I'd like to go with.

I think it came out really well, don't let it bother you, as long as you don't come down with herpeghonashypilaids you should be fine :)

Kyle,

20. Bill The Butcher

Bill The Butcher Active Member

that's going to be awhile:

joy division SIGirl 09-10-2007 182 Days 03-10-2008, ~12:00 AM
    178 Days, 4 Hours self requested

21. Flac0

Flac0 Custom User Title

that might be a great tattoo for my back, but reversed.

22. AccessFlux

AccessFlux Dream Police

see here the bikies are the darker side of studios here, so if anyone is caught tattooing out of home that doesn't have permission - shit gets real

although i would love to get tattooed in my kitchen, if only for the experience