1st car suggestions?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jeffreyliu838, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

ITT: My budget is no more than 2500. Absolute max. I've sold alot of my stuff already, and it'll be incredibly hard to get any more. If it matters, I live in California. I like mileage, but welcome power. Aesthetics are important. After all, I'm a high school student. I am superficial. I posted in Eastern Imports cause I think more candidates fall under this category. Suggest away!

I like the 240sx. Good mileage, looks cool, featured in magazines/video games, and it's affordable.

EDIT: Are MR2's any good? How about Supra's?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

get a bike, get a job, and save more money.

3. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

It's a first car. If it doesn't suck, IMO, something's wrong.

And even with a job, it takes like a year to save 2000.

4. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

can you drive manual?
    Sentra SE-R as well, hell, maybe an old Prelude...

5. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

you think it takes you a long time to save now? Wait till you're in college...my senior year of high school I made over $1500/month and got to keep it all since I didn't have any bills. Now I make much less than that and live paycheck to paycheck trying to keep up on rent, electric, cable, food, and gas....if I were you, I'd just wait and get rides from friends/parents while you're living at home and save up for a reliable car that'll get you through college. You don't want to pay $2000 for a car and have it break on you all the time.

6. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

CRX. Really. There is no better high school car. Handles easy, but dont have power steering so your driving will become more accurate so you dont make your driving a work out. 45mpg, same if you swap in a B18 but then you can scoot around town with 45mpg in a car that runs with SRT-4's and v8 mustangs...well except off the line. If you want a lot of bass there is not better car but you wont be annoying everyone else as easily because CRX's stay nice and loud inside. There is a ton of aftermarket for them as well. Engine swaps are so well doccumented anyone who can read and turn a wrench can do it.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

240SX is going to require a bit of work before it'll be reliable again. They're all about a decade old now.

8. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

...and most in that price range have been beat on.

9. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

mmm 240sx...i have a s13, if you know what you are doing their tons of fun.

10. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Yes, I can drive a manual. I've only had experience with one car though, so I'm not super good at it or anything. Can't do more difficult maneuvers with the clutch either.

The CRX does not have power steering? As in, you're moving the front two wheels with the assistance of a power source? Doesn't that kinda suck?

11. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

No, actually it doesn't. As long as you aren't at a dead stop, it basically is no different, it just feels heavier. And even with most cars, you can still move the wheel while stopped. Power steering really is overrated.

12. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

13. BenceCALI

BenceCALI New Member

CRX or Integra....something HONDA. On a budget of 2500 you should be worrying about gas, reliability, and repair costs if needed.

14. Dweezil

Dweezil New Member

Find yourself an older honda. They run forever, get decent mileage and would probably be great for a first car.

15. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Do you work? Do you plan on working? $2500 would be a decent down payment on a used car. See if a credit union will finance a few thousand for you which you could pay off relatively quickly if you were working.

If not, CRX's are definitely cheap cars

16. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

I would suggest a 5th gen Celica. Can be had for that price range in decent shape for the ST modle. No power to speak of, but good on the gas and reliable.

17. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

95-98 Nissan 200sx se-r (2 door sentra)
    Good little car, reliable, decent power & looks.

18. D21X

D21X Ownz JOO

get a 92-95 civic.....hatchback.....great fuel mileage and tons of aftermarket support.

19. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Are MR2's any good? How about Supra's?

20. I've seen lots of $2500 supras recently. :hsugh:

21. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

22. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

$2,500 won't buy you a fast and reliable MR2. You're going to get fast and broken, or slow and reliable. And if you manage to get fast and broken...you'll constantly be towing it back home. In high school I can't see most people affording a nice MR2. Keyword "nice". And unless you can do all the work yourself, most generic shops are scared to work on mid-engined/boosted cars.

If you look into the MKII N/A chances re higher of finding a decent ride. They look pretty cool, just less power and better gas mileage. A much better first car, one you can learn to drive and then upgrade to a turbo model later in life if you want.

Or choose the dark side and get a MKI. Ugly, small, fun to drive. They are a little too old to be considered reliable by most people, although I personally love mine. The slowest of all generations (I think?) but that never bothered me. I daily drive my 86' N/A with no issues, gets decent gas mileage (low 30's) and not too hard to work on.

23. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Yeah, I was thinking about the MkI's. I think they look pretty cool, and have a decent amount of power.

24. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

An MR2 mk1 is also going to require a sizable investment to be reliable again. They stopped making those in the late 80's, IIRC.

Just buy a mid-90's Civic and a set of muscle car posters like every other kid. You can't start off at the top, or even anywhere near it. You have to walk your punk ass up the mountain before you can appreciate being there.

I drove a 1989 Mazda 626 for six years before I got a car that could spin its tires anywhere besides on a rain-slick paint strip at a stoplight. It was a great car; it got me through senior year, through college, and halfway through finding a job before someone totaled it in front of my house. Power is only one factor in the equation.