1fared Lightneing audio cap

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by idontgiveashit, Sep 16, 2002.

1. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

i gotta lightning audio 1 fared cap for free, anyone know hwat its worth, its white. bout all i iknow

2. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

you just said it is free - but if it works still then it may be worth about 50 bux depending on the condition

3. 04

04 Guest

It depends...

It won't help you any...

4. idontgiveashit

yeah, it works fine, its actually almost new. Some kid asked me if it helped his system any and i told him not really, which it wasnt, all he had was a 100watt RF. He asked what it was worth, i said not much, and he jsut gave it to me. He got it in a pkg deal.

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

so put it up for sale - you can get 50 for it I am sure.

6. idontgiveashit

correction-it is a .5 fared.

7. idontgiveashit

worth anything?, i dont want it.

8. 04

04 Guest

Well it depends. You could probably find someone to buy it, but in reality it doesnt do much for your audio system... However, if you sell it cheap enough, theres no reason not to have it... I mean if I could get a .5farad cap for 20 dollars, I would probably have one in my car. Although I wouldnt expect it to do much other than perhaps stopping my lights from dimming a little. Why not post it in the for sale forum for like 30 dollars or best offer?

9. idontgiveashit

ive heard they lower the line voltage and thus lower spl, is that true or is it just a rumor, cuz my lights dim a lil .

10. 04

04 Guest

That is somewhat true. In a capacitor in car situation heres how it goes. Normally you are drawing power from your alternator when playing music at low levels. But when you turn it up, sometimes the amp needs more current than the alternator can supply. So it goes to the cap, which has a specific amount of joules of energy stored. These joules however are in limited supply, there was a thread once on Richard Clarks audio forum about what kind of cap would be needed to allow a 1 second burp at 1000a to allow no more than a 1v drop from 14 to 13v. It turned out it needed to be a 1000F cap! :eek: That is a bit extreme on the current demand levels, but a TON of people are pulling over 100a for a lot longer than a second. Anyways, sorry I got off topic. So when the cap is drained, which a 1f or .5f drains VERY quickly it has to go to the alternator, and if you are pulling much over its rating, which is probable, you must then go to the battery. The battery is 12.8v I do believe, so your lights are fighting with the amp with only 12.8v. 12.8v is less than 14v so you are obviously going to get a dimming. You also are getting a few fractions of a volt drop with your power wire, etc etc etc. I am not very knowledgeable on this subject, but for the most part I hope that summs it up.

Cliffnotes: They don't lower the line voltage except when recharging after a serious depletion, and even then it is probably negligible. They actually help to stabilize it. If you can get a free cap for no cost at all, I say use it, because it will probably help light dimming, and will provide a stable voltage to the amplifier. I just don't advocate spending 100 dollars on one when the person is needing 100a current draw on a 8awg cable, upgrading the wire would be a better solution.

11. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

Often times people call to ask me how caps are going to save their system. But summed up. Caps are NOT a band-aid. They are only helpful if you have an electrical system that work properly without them.

When people are wanting to buy these 15 farad caps, I tell them to take that money and invest in a nice Optima Yellowtop. I'd much rather have that to compliment my system than I would a cap.

In even more simple terms.........would you want to start your car with a battery? Or a capacitor??:rofl:

12. idontgiveashit

haha thanks guys, im gona use it for now, until i get my D2 back, which sucked ass with no battery, they would dim so bad ppl would flash their lights at me thinkin i was flashing htem, even at lower levels. I have a deep cycle battery, not an optima, but i will have one when i have the money, but this will do for now.