1998 Tacoma Ext Cab Audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CwbyLance, Mar 2, 2005.

1. CwbyLance

CwbyLance New Member

Alright, I have a 1998 Tacoma Ext Cab with 4 speakers. I have replaced the headunit with a Kenwood and now I would like to get better sound. My plan is as follows:

Infiniti Reference 6002si 6.5in - Front and Rear. 2-50watts RMS.
    Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0:4 50watts RMS x 4 - Amplifier.

I have no plans to add a subwoofer. Any comments on this setup? Am I doing a bad thing by maxing out my speakers at 50watts or should I purchase speakers that are 60watts RMS?

Thanks,
    Lance

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I think I am beating this suggestion to death by now here, but you are new so you haven't heard it from me yet. And, it especially applies to you because you have a truck.

Instead of replacing all four speakers, replace the front two. Instead of Reference series, go with Kappa series (this shouldn't stretch the budget too much since now you are only buying 2 speakers. The Kappa series should have a much higher power rating, somewhere in the 100 range I imagine.

Next, bridge your amp so that you will be putting out 100x2 (@4ohms I assume). This should give you as much power as you would like. Or, even better, buy a 2-channel amp with a power rating to match the Kappa's. I haven't heard great things about Phoenix Gold, so I would just like to recommend HiFonics as a brand you could check out that is in the same price bracket AFAIK.

Last step, run your stock rear speakers off the head units internal amp (or disconnect them completely), and fade the sound like 1/3 to 1/2 to the front. This gives you some rear fill which a lot of people like, without the stock rear speakers taking the sound quality of your new fronts down.

Hope that helps.

3. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Sounds similar to the setup I was running in my car.

4. interstate

interstate New Member

What would be a good affordable amp to power 2 of those inifity speakers? I've been thinkign about getting those speakers fora while..

5. veonake

The Kappas or the Reference? Guess it doesn't really matter, just the power ratings change in terms of what amp is required. Check out HiFonics.

6. interstate

interstate New Member

Reference... how much more are the Kappas?

7. veonake

Kappa's go on eBay for around $100 I think, and Kappa Perfect's go for around $175 or so. Just do a search on eBay.