1996 Jeep Cherokee fuse issue

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ardentfrost, May 9, 2006.

1. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost Jesus is so f*kin' metal

So, my Jeep is getting older, but I've had few problems with it (practically none outside of a bad T-case), then the other day I am driving along, move my legs to get more comfortable, and end up kicking a fuse off (the fuse box is right above where my left foot usually rests).

Nothing seemed to shut off and I'm still going fine down the road, so I decide I'll investigate more later. Well, the next day I go to hit my windshield with some washer fliud (stupid pollen) and nothing happens. Wipers are completely dead. Ok, that's fine, now I know what that fuse goes to... I'll just get another, right?

Well, after going to 3 different Auto Parts stores and coming up empty, I was pretty peeved. I guess this fuse is weird enough to not carry. I'll probably go to a dealership in the next few days if I can't find anything else (and hopefully they have one).

Was wondering if any of you guys know where I could get weird fuses besides the dealership (Lord knows they'll probably charge me 5x what it's worth). This one says it's a 4.8 A 12 V fuse (that's followed by 5FA, dunno what that means, and I'm an electrical guy... I guess it could be Farads, but no idea why a capacitor would be in a fuse). The fuse looks strange; it's about 1.5" x .5" by 1" tall encased in galvanized (or really crappy looking aluminum) formed metal. The two leads that come out of the back broke off, and I think they're aluminum, otherwise I'd solder them back on.

I did try google and came up short.

2. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

From your description i would say you broke the wiper circuit breaker. It took me a few seconds to find this random help topic from way back in 2003,

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4619

link cliffs...

Problem "Yesterday I flipped them on and nothing. Pump doesn't spray fluid, wipers don't move no matter what position they are in"

Answer "By "big fuse" do you mean the circuit breaker on the fuse panel? Mine (92) is a 4.8 amp circuit breaker that I had to get ($17.50) from the stealership"

Not the same year jeep in the article but as i recall, 91 through 98 jeeps share many parts that did change over that time span. If its not the same it is probably a similar part and price, hopefully. Good luck.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  3. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost Jesus is so f*kin' metal

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks :) Pissed I gotta get it from the dealership though :squint: