1995 Nissan Altima (Im clueless on this)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Dreams2Reality, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Alright, so.. I have my own vehicle that I drive, and a 1995 Nissan Altima I have that I keep for "just-in-case" situations. The car up until recently has been trouble-free.

Breakdown:
    1995 Nissan Altima GXE
    4 Cylinder
    140xxx Miles

For some reason whenever its raining outside or damp, or even snow, the moisture seems to fuck something up. Whenever it gets "wet" the car will not start. When it first happened I thought it was my spark plugs, so naturally, I replaced them.

Still does it. My brother said it could be my distributor cap / rotors? I have no idea. It's not a priority to me, but, I'd like to get this fixed.

Any ideas?

Disclaimer : Sorry if it's in the wrong forum, couldn't find exactly "where" to put this.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Does it also happen on humid days, or only when there is precipitation? If it's only precipitation that causes the problem, then obviously the water is draining somewhere it shouldn't. If humidity causes the problem, I'd suspect either the airflow sensor or the ignition coil.

3. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Nope, only on the days with precipitation.. that's whats really making me clueless =/. I literally wake up in the morning and am forced to use my other car for my commute because I already know it won't start.

Don't think it could be the distributor cap?

4. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

my dad had asimilar problem with his 96 golf...the engine would crank over for hours and would only chug along for a second or two before it died out. it ended up being a fuel filter and faulty cap/rotor.....moisture was getting under the cap and wouldnt let it run.

5. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

check the ground wire on the starter.

6. Pea-Ta

Pea-Ta New Member

I have a 97 alti, get the cap/rotor checked... buy oem, it's worth it.

7. deusexaethera

It's obviously a drip or a leak somewhere, then. Does it have the problem after sitting in the rain, or after being driven in the rain?

8. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Strictly sitting. If I drove for 3 of 4 hours that it rained, it wouldn't be a problem.

9. deusexaethera

The problem is close to the engine, then, because it's getting dried off by the engine heat. At this point, I'm with the other guys; somehow water is getting on your distributor, or maybe it's soaking into a crack on a sparkplug wire and shorting it to the engine block.

How do your hood seals look? Spray down your car with water, then pop the hood after a couple of minutes and look for wet spots in the engine bay.