1994 Audi S4

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NomadicPants, Jul 4, 2007.

1. NomadicPants

NomadicPants Subaru > *

115k miles, $5700, private seller.

Yay or nay?

I'm debating between this and a 98 A4 or A6. Any suggestions?

2. Gek

Gek Go for broke

seems like a good price, i think the 2000 A4's are around 10-12k... seems like they don't have a good resale value..

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

theres an 01 S4 at my lot listed at like 23k :dunno:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

HELL no. That car is not worth that kind of money nowadays. Get something newer.

5. autobahn

autobahn New Member

you know not what you say.

The UrS4 is a great, awesome, wicked car in the right hands. 20vT = total win, probably one of the better engines ever made.

6. NomadicPants

NomadicPants Subaru > *

I can see where you're coming from. Then would you recommend me going for the 98 A6 that has 128k miles for $5995?

7. deusexaethera

I own a 20v turbo (AEB engine code no less), I know it's a great engine. I'm talking about the CAR. A good engine in a worn-out 13-year-old car with known structural problems isn't worth its weight in scrap, unless you've got a new car to put it into.

8. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

In my area, that's about $600 below blue book. Do they have service records for it?? That would be my determining factor. If they do, buy it, if they don't, walk away.

9. deusexaethera

Mm...I don't know. The A6 is definitely a nicer car than the A4, though it's going to be less sporty in case sportiness is what you're looking for, but what's got me worried is the price. The A6 is quite a bit up the scale from the A4, and $6000 strikes me as possibly too low for a car of that stature -- unless some big repair work is coming -- which, being a German car, is like saying "unless the sun will rise tomorrow". If you know any Euro mechanics, ask them what kinds of problems an A6 of that vintage is likely to have, and see if they'd be willing to look at the car and see if they find anything wrong with it. It could just be the owner is sick of the standard maintenance on that car, which is not negligible in price, in which case I'd say -- buy the hell out of it, if you can afford to maintain it.

10. project15

project15 New Member

I'm with deus on this one. Old Audi's are not the way to go - especially without warranty.

11. deusexaethera

I can live without a warranty, but I'd want full disclosure of repairs done to the car, what and when, and why if applicable. If the guy won't give you that, the car isn't worth the risk.

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

im assuming its a price with a lot of flex

13. BLACKMKIV

BLACKMKIV New Member

I have a URS4, great car if it is well maintained. Maintenance can be pricey if you dont do your own work. I would only reccomend this car to a audi enthusiast. The prices obviously float with condition & maintenance, without knowing that, who knows if your getting a deal or not.

14. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Amen. If they don't have a service history, or a dealer they can refer you to to obtain one, and you're not a VW/Audi enthusiast, walk away. VW/Audi get a really bad name from people buying them used who have no idea what it takes to maintain them.