1992 Acura Legend

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by KeeperOfAcheron, Mar 12, 2008.

1. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

I have a been the second owner of my beautiful 92 Legend. The conditon is amazing and it has been a great little car for the past few years. Its got aboue 135,000 miles on it but it has run great as of late.

Today, driving on the freeway here in Vegas, the car over-heats and all sorts of things go wrong.

Now its at Acura and they are suggesting it might be the head-gaskets. They said they will run the tests on it, but if it is...replacing the engine is normally recommended.

If this happens, it would cost more to replace the engine then the car is worth.

What would you do in my situation? Could I sell it on ebay for a decent price with a bad engine since the body and interior are still beautiful?

What would you do?

2. KeeperOfAcheron

Okay, just got a call back from the dealer.

Blown head gasket, Radiator leaking, and a bad thermostat.

Est. $3,500 to fix.

My car is barely worth that.

Now what would you do?

3. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

The symptoms of a blown head gasket can be caused by the head gasket OR by a warped cylinder head (the heads can warp when the engine overheats badly). You won't know the condition of the heads without taking them off. That may well require removing the engine from the car for lack of clearance, since it's a 90° V6... at which point it's less labor to just stick in a good engine than disassemble the old one which may or may not need refurbishing.

Sucky as it is, I would just write off the car and sell it.

4. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

If you have any automotive skills at all, replacing the engine should be a piece of cake. It should be pretty cheap to find a used engine as well, id just do it myself if I were you. If you get in to deep, cut your losses and sell everything

5. KeeperOfAcheron

I like to consider myself pretty good with cars and engines, but not that good.

I consider my only real option now is to sell. So if you were in my situation, where would you sell it?

I figure craigslist, ebay, and maybe a legend or acura forum?

Any advice?

6. meervincent

meervincent New Member

try to sell it local.