1991 BMW 318is

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by kendan, Mar 1, 2008.

1. kendan

kendan New Member

I don't know anything about these cars and I just happened to come across a 91 318is on craigslist for 3000. Now I always hear about BMW parts and their prices, but after a quick google search all the basic parts are very cheap. Cheaper than sr20 parts at least. The car has 100k miles on the odometer and the exterior and interior are absolutely flawless. It is being sold by a dealership and I was just wondering if there are known problems for these types of cars and if there are some questions I need to ask.

2. HardTech

HardTech hungry

is it an automatic or manual? Those cars have a timing chain as opposed to a timing belt, but they do need to be adjusted/replaced about every 100k miles. Ask if it's been changed.

And say you'll give $2300 cash.

3. kendan

kendan New Member

it's a manual.

4. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

in for failure? :hsughno:

5. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Not bad little cars. If you can live with the 4-cylinder's power, the rest of the E30 kicks ass.

6. BavarianMotorWe

BavarianMotorWe New Member

Dealer is going to say the chain has been replaced. So no matter what I suggest you do it yourself after the buy. Also, ask $2,300 and the dealer will laugh at you. He's asking 3 grand because he knows he will get it. In their eyes, 100k on the ODO and the hoards of E30 enthusiasts out there, $3,000 is a bargain. Ask for $2,300 and settle when the dealer goes for $2,700.

All in all you'll love the car.

7. kendan

kendan New Member

well, I think I can deal with it. I used to own an auto civic. I just don't want to get this car and then have to spend tons of money on it to get it running good, because that's what happened when I bought my nightmare 240sx.

8. kendan

kendan New Member

oh, and it looks like everything is very well maintained on this car, I can't believe how good the leather is there are no scratches or scuffs on it. However there is no leather on the rear seats like the cloth part, there is a cushion but no leather. [​IMG]

there you can see the rear seats. So, could I just start out offering 2400 or so?

9. kendan

kendan New Member

well, I got a carfax from them and everything looks good. No accidents or anything. However the mileage is wrong it says 100,000 but it's more like 180 or 200 probably.

10. kendan

kendan New Member

basically I have 3000 to spend and I really need a car that will last and get decent mileage. Should I just buy this or should I wait and save a little more and but like a 2000 civic?

11. BavarianMotorWe

No leather in the rear? That doesn't seem strange to you?

And if ODO stopped at 100k its not worth 3 grand. I thought it read 100k and is still ticking. Keep looking. If E30 is what you want, you can find beautiful 325i/is for 3 grand. 325e/es just isn't worth the detuned engine. Your going to get better gas milage but nothing too great. So why rob the power from the motor. 318's are fine if your a grandma.

6banger > 4banger

12. BavarianMotorWe

And for your self-respect and the honest opinions of the world...don't get a civic. Or don't tell anyone you did :rofl:

13. miahmouse

miahmouse crash test dummy

that car... with shady carfax... 2k at most... After a mech took a thorough look at it. a 325is is more in that price range...

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's a lot of money for a 17-year-old car.

15. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

An E30 318 is worth it if it's clean, but that thing's got too many issues at that price.

Like others have said- leather/odo raises too many questions.