1990 nissan 240sx

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by elephant16, Mar 2, 2003.

1. elephant16

elephant16 New Member

are these good cars? I see one in a Classifieds magazine and since im looking for a car i may get it. It has new shocks brand new airconditioner system new tires only 2000 miles on the tires. Good stereo system. They want 1800.00 obo. So i was thinking i could give them 1500.00 for it. It has 108k miles trans was rebuilt not too long ago. But someone backed into the back right side. Near the wheel/back area. He drove it for another year it dosnt affect the handling of the car. Its just dents and such. The guy who owns it is a 50 year old retired cop. He told me its a really dependable car. From the picture it looks like a sports car. How fast are these things?

2. Undefined

Undefined New Member

140hp for the 89-90 models, 155hp for 91+. either way, they got pretty good low/mid range torque for city driving. probably run mid 16's in the 1/4 mile though. they got good stock suspension and are a lot of fun for a little money. i have a 91 with no lsd, its fun as fuck to have a car that i wouldn't care much if it just died so i beat it up real good, burnout all the time, practice donut parking with it and everything. im actually trying to kill it so i can get a new car but it wont die. only thing that sucks is the interiors are shitty/ugly as fuck. other than that, cool car overall. 1800 is a decent price especially if you say there's an upgraded stereo. get that down to 1500 and thats a nice deal.

3. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

hehe me too i saw a '89 240 but i dont know should i buy it. problay some ricer owner because its in some district that's where a lot of chinese people are hehe. 160k miles.. for 1500. red though =\ guys know what i should look out for?

4. bboyivy

bboyivy Guest

rust, leaking injectors.

I own a 90 240 with 204,000 miles on it:eek: Runs perfect, love the car lots of fun. Soon as motor goes though,hello redtop:drool:

5. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

yeah i want a '89 240 because thats all i can afford but my mom wont let me because 1. its a 89 2. its a nissan(does she know that nissans are good? wtf) 3. woudl problay ahve about 151k miles and she said i woud have lots of headaches fixing it.

whats you guy's take? i mean i'd pay the car myself but then she pays insurance.

6. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

if you are looking to just drive it daily they are nice, i have a 90. nice daily driver runs high 16's at the track w/ drop in K&N Filter.

if you are looking to mod, get a 91-93 w/ a KA24DE engine, which is better than the SR20DET but will take more work.
    the 89-90 240SX's have the KA24E so if you are going to mod look for a 91-93 if just for daily driver pick up a 89-90. you might be able to talk him down to like 1,200 if you show up with the cash. goo dluck.

7. Derrickcxhatch

Derrickcxhatch 3-6 Juggalo

By what empirical virtue can you make this claim?

8. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

you can get the same power out of both, just more torque out of the KA than the SR. that's why i think it's better. just my opinion.

9. Jspec180

Jspec180 New Member

ehhh, thats not entirely true. i was torn over this desicion a while back and i have learned a lot. and i have come to the conclusion the sr is better. ka really is a truck engine which doesnt make it bad, it just means you are going to have lower revs and a lot of torque down low but lose a lot after 5k. with the sr it peaks a lot higher, i could go on but i dont think i need to.

10. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Guest

Nah, not true. The KA power does drop off stock, but with some cams you can shift the powerband alot, plus a turbo meant to go that high, plus little other things like a head port and shorter intake manifold runners will help too. The KA redlines at 6900, which is usually increased to 7200 with no modification. With a valvetrain upgrade you can go to 8000 easily. Cams and turbo to support and you are making hp and torque (usually more torque than hp even) all the way to your 8000 rpm redline. The KA is better, just a little harder to extract what you want from it.

It's just like the addage, there is no replacement for displacement. Although I am no domestic guy there is no denying this.

11. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

That was a very excellent post.

12. Jspec180

Jspec180 New Member

agreed to an extent. but i will say there is no replacement for a factory turbo. the reason you see so many SR guys out there is because it is just a better engineered engine for forced induction. with a ka24det you are going to have to monitor that thing like a bitch and run a lower boost than you would with the sr. additionally i have seen more KA+t's blow than SR's. the only reason i was considering it is because you buy a ka turbo kit and you have atleast 200 hp at the wheels where as 170 or so with an SR swap of near equal cost. but as to your 8000 redline, i am not calling you a liar or anything i would love to see some examples of this being done to an s13.