1990 JDM Toyota MR-2 w/ T-tops

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by FyreDaug, Feb 1, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I found an Mr2 with t-tops in japan, jdm wootness11!11one..

Anyways, its 2350 USD with Power Windows, Power Steering, Cassette/Radio, AC and T-tops and only 63000km.

Worth it? Its like 700usd to freight it overseas, but it seems better than the usdm integra I was looking at before.

Itll be like 3500 canadian once everything is said and done. Low mlies, good body, no damage, no rust....

speak. discuss. diss.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

these belong in eastern imports

3. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Damnit, I knew that too, please move... arg.

Anyways, apparently all usdm mr2's are all boxy and have a 1.6l motor, this is a sleeker body style and have a 2liter... wtf?

4. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

No. Old Mr2's (pre90 are boxy) and have a 4AGE engine. The one you are looking at probably is a MKII and has a 2 liter 3SGE. It's gonna cost more than you think. MR2's are NEVER cheap.

5. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

$700 to ship it over here? tax? $$$making it street legal??

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well its in good shape, inspection will pass, after taxes and freight and all that it should be within 4200. I got a guy at work here who actually has an agent in japan that he deals with, he imports skylines all the time and stuff, he says he could find one cheaper.

Im not worried about speed, my kart is for that (for those who dont know, its a TSI dsm powered MR car that weighs in at about 800lbs when its done) this car is for looks/quality ride if anything.

Yeah its an mk2, its a 90 production model, so a 91 usdm basically.

What makes it cost more than I think? Its a non turbo one

7. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

MR2's aren't quality rides. Ugh. They are NICE, but they are not reliable.

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Ive heard quite the opposite, that toyota knew what they were doing when they produced these cars, atleast it wasnt made in north america, jdm quality ftw!

Seriously though, what makes you say they arent reliable?
    The only things I would probably do to this car (or a similar mr2) would be bolt on intake, wheels, tires, paint, tint, maybe a drop and some interior mods to make it look nice.

I dont pla on making it fast, but I like the sound of intakes on these motors.

EDIT: Its all about an enjoyable experience driving it. They already handle pretty nice stock. I drove my friends slow ass focus but hes got some nice tires and a tough suspension and I did like it. If its comfortable and handles well and performs above-par ill be happy. Daily driver

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well I "hired" the guy at work here hes gonna find an mr2 in good condition, he says I could get that one for much less, since hes got an agent that bids at the auctions which is basically pre-dealer so whatever the dealer makes as commision you would save. He paid 7200can or so for his mr2, good shape, body kit, wheels, twin turbo, T-tops he said this one shouldnt cost more than 3700 to get here. 6.12% duty tax and 7% gst on top of the cost of the car. But we'll see, hes got a couple mr2s to look at.

10. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

The sound of intakes on these motors? When have you heard an intake on a 3SGE? Don't confuse this motor with a 5SFE.

You don't sound too knowledgeable. It's probably single turbo. Twin entry turbo 3sgte.

11. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Maybe it was a 5SFE, I dont know.

Clearly im not too knowledgable about it. His is a twin, its not factory either.

I dont need/want a turbo on my mr2

12. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

I am calling BS on the twin turbo. Perhaps he told you twin entry turbo.

13. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Like I said its not stock, I dont know, Ive SEEN the car, but never really looked into it. But thats getting offtopic, what do you think of the price of the car? For the non turbo one. 63000km if its true sounds good to me. 16yr old cars dont usually have that little milage...

14. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

MR2's generally are expensive considering their age. 3-6 sounds right for a non turbo, depending on the stats of it. I honestly can't say. Hop on autotrader and compare.

15. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Autotrader loses. Bad experiences with it, everything is way bloated for prices anyways. I guess with everything all said and done (properly this time) it turns out its closer to 5. Including the plane ticket to BC, the gas, motel, duty and tax, ac levy etc.

Still not bad. I hope this David guy can find another one for a good price. Id kill for T-tops.

I think that car would be real sexy with some new paint, nice 5 spoke 17's (possibly factory gunmetal skyline type rims), some awesome rubber, tinted nicely all around, and maybe dropped a little depending on how the 17's sit/ride.

Interior wise: Suede racing seats (recaro?), short shifter, carputer, nice detailing and touch ups. Bam, right there its worth probably 9000 around here. put jdm in the title and ricer kiddies will be all over it. Problem is, its REAL jdm and they wont figure out how to drive rhd.

16. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I was reading through this thread: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2276574 "Talk to me about mr2's" and it seems that there are some common problems. Those who know me know I like to fix/mod stuff, so for these cars do they have any problems with specific rust? Like I know hondas are typically bad for rust in rear fender and front strut tower/wheel well.

I told these guys to send me pictures, repair history and any aftermarket information for the car. I dont know if the 63000km is legit or not, but Ill get back to this post once they send me more information

EDIT:
    Car: 2350 US -- 2690 CAN
    FOB: 500 US -- 572 CAN
    Shipping: 8.74*85 742.9 US -- 850 CAN
    Duty: 6.12% of 2690 164 CAN
    GST: 7% of Car+Duty 200 CAN

$4476 approx
    I dont know if the GST is applied to the duty+car or the duty is applied to GST+car, either way its about the same.
    About 120 for a 1 way plane ticket and about 150? for gas + 30 for a 5day cross-province permit and some money for a motel and food it should all fall under 5000 canadian to have the car in saskatchewan. Im sure theres some other costs aswell that ill run into. But overall for 5000 do you figure its worth it? Non turbo, low miles, rhd, and t-tops!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  17. White91MR2-T

White91MR2-T New Member

Yes most people do confuse the Twin Entry Turbo for twin turbos. There were actually a few twin turbo mr2s out there, some company made it way back and installed them, but it was a joke as they werent any faster than the single turbo ones. 4 cylinders is not enough to spool 2 turbos. Honestly, you could get a USDM non turbo for $5000 over here. Not much reason to get one from japan unless you really want to be JDM. If you do buy it, just make sure that you know what you are actually getting since you wont be able to see it in person or drive it until it arrives here.

18. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well all the jdm shit has more in it, like the 3sge motor as oppostwed to the 5sfe 160hp to 120hp I velieve. JDM has lsd stock, better suspension too I think, plus its jdm so its probably worth more. And with 63000km its not bad.

19. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

Yeah, bs on the twin turbo. But since this is a 1st gen 5sfe, there wouldn't be a hp increase. I think you're talking about the gen3 5sfe with the 40hp increase. The gen3 3sgte turbo motor also gained about 45hp, initially with only 200hp.

edit: post some pics of it :)

20. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

^ I have no idea what this poster is talking about. ^

You could get a newer USDM non-turbo for less money. The power difference is actually 154hp to 130, and the 5S-FE is 200cc larger with slightly flatter power delivery. I don't think the difference between the two would likely be a very big deal. The 5S-FE is a more reliable engine, as you'd guess.

The low mileage is attractive, but you should be aware that JDM cars tend to be more beat than the mileage would suggest.

I don't believe the suspension is any different between the two. If it is, the differences are negligible. LSD I don't know, but I would be surprised if the G-Limited model had one standard.

If you ever want to put a new heart in it, you can bolt in a Solara V6 with the USDM base model, probably not the case on a JDM car just as it isn't on the turbo. This is probably more extreme than you would ever go with the car from the sound of it :)

All that said, if the car is in the shape you say then it sounds like a decent deal. Certainly will be a little more interesting car to have than your everyday MR2.

Shop carefully.

21. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well I found another one actually, the one I was looking at was on Japan-partner.com but they seem a little shady and wouldnt supply me with enough iinformation about the car, or the auction sheet.

The one I foudn now is a 1991 MR2 GT, 3gste motor 225hp w/ LSD stock for this one. Its got t-tops still, its black and looks totally stock. 300000yen, only about 200$can more than the other one. You have to register in order to see the car, but its on www.hasnihon.com , register and search by name->toyota.

I godda set up a meeting with the bank on monday

22. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

there are three revision motors for the mr2 n/a and turbo. when he mentioned the hp increase for the 5sfe, i was assuming that he was talking about the gen3 5sfe motor. but the model he was looking at was '90 so that would be a gen1 motor.

oh, and read the above post, he says his friend has a twin turbo mr2 and I don't believe it.

23. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

if you are going to import a jdm car why don't you get one that you can't actually buy in north america?

24. patina

patina OT Supporter

There is no reason that the JDM car would me worth more or nicer than a USDM unless it is a 3rd gen. That would be 94+. They have a different turbo that has full ceramic internals, which spools faster and pulls harder to redline. They also have different suspension, front lip, taillights, and some minor interior changes. Moral of the story; get a USDM car unless you can find a JDM 94+ model. If you wait around you can suually find a turbo with decent miles in good condition for low 6's. If you have any questions, catch me on aim: pputkowski. I know MR2's.

25. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

How about a jdm twin entry turbo one for less than 4? Like the one I found, I would suggest registered for hasnihon to look at that car.83000km, factory LSD 3sgte motor, fully loaded besides airbags (did they even have the option to? I dont think so) Its a 91/12 car, so we may not be able to register it until december, which sucks, but we'll see how it goes, im talking with them right now and im pretty much ready to wire them money.

USDM > JDM? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

GTFO