1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Dexteh, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

found one in the paper with 197k miles on it... the guy says it looks and runs great, but anyone know any common problems with this thing, or if its going to die soon?
  2. is that the inline 5 cylinder? Ive seen those motors go 250,000 before. Good fun cars.
  3. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

yeah its I-5 20 valve. i've heard they have problems with timing belts and water pumps but cant really get much more info than that anywhere.
  4. vw16vcabby

vw16vcabby New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    depends on the previous owner really. personaly, i wouldn't buy it if i were you unless you have wrenching skills, as working on any audi 4k, 5k, 80/90 100 200 series is a PITA, and paying a shop to work on it is pretty exspensive as well- as alot of shops have no clue. something w/ that many miles on it, it is bound to be needing something major fixed, so keep that in mind..... do a search on www.car-part.com for engine and tranny, as those are u two costly failures. Actually, the motor is probably still ok albeit a bit worn...but the tranny is more than likely on its last leg.

on the same token, i have swapped the 20v 5 banger turbo from a 200 into a quattro 90--that made for one fun car.

if u do get it, look around for the early model 90's, as they had a factory "header".
  5. czm3

czm3 Guest

I used to have one of these. The only specific problems that I am aware of were problems with overheating and "clacky" valves. I had a wierd noise coming from the manifold. However my mechanic isisted he knew about that problem, and it wouldn't affect the releiability of the car. The temp sensor commonly breaks on these engines, so check it out before you assume the car is not overheating. I also had the misfortune of having a minor fender bender in this car. It was VERY difficult to locate parts to fix the car and the bill was outragious. I know the shop didnt rip me off, but without bodywork, the bill was still over $8K.

Otherwise its a great car (I loved the ABS button)