1989 BMW 325i

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Stefuhknee, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Stefuhknee

Stefuhknee New Member

Ok no pictures but my car is great. No dings,dents, stratches or anything for that matter. In fact it runs beautifully too. All of this for only 1800 dollars and a lot of miles.

Well there is one problem and its pretty big and i wanted advice or ideas from other people who may know a thing or two about BMWs, esspecially older models.

My car randomly doesnt start. Like i'll be driving for a while running errands and then all of a sudden it wont start. Or it will start and turn right off. So i get it towed. I've brought it to 4 shops and they all say the same thing. They dont know what it is because they cannot duplicate the problem.

Now i feel like the idiot female. You know, but im not. I can fix some basic things with cars and stuff but this is just way beyond me. I've had a crank sensor box replaced, i had my air box reconnected and in a recent attempt ( meaning i picked my car up finally after 2 1/2 weeks) they replaced a coil.

But they still dont know if that is the problem. they know there is no spark problem as the spark plugs, wire and suff are all brand know. The fuses are great. It also recently had a new fuel senor valve put in, so they are thinking more than likely its not fuel related.

WTF IS WRONG WITH MY CAR!
    I love this BMW, but i dont want to give up on it after having it for only 5 months. Ive probaly only been able to drive it for aout 3 1/2- 4 months out of those five though.

Oh yeah and it turns over everytime... it just wont start. Right now its good but i have this feeling its going to happen again. Any ideas? Sorry for the long rant : /

2. BavarianMotorWe

BavarianMotorWe New Member

FUEL RELAYS!

Old and dirty. Clean or replace. Id suggest replace. Did it for me and happened randomly. Narrowed it to the relays. Replaced them has never happened since.

*If you dont want to waste your money anymore on mechanics try 'Autohause Arizona' for parts. Get a bently manual and do it all yourself. The relays are easier to replace then fuses.(no tools needed)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  3. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

Check the fuel pump as well. Those can fail intermittently when they get hot, and if the pressure is down the car could vapor lock.

I don't know what a "fuel sensor valve" is.

Is there any chance it was the pressure regulator they replaced?

As a final question, has anything they've done helped at all?

As a final piece of advice, if you've been taking it to an independent try taking it to the closest dealer.

Those guys have a lot of ego wrapped up in fixing any BMW they see, they have all the reference material BMW ever put out, several of the techs have probably owned your model of BMW, and if you live near a big city there's a good chance that somebody in the building worked on 1989's when they were still under warranty.

It might be worth an hours worth of labor ($100? $120?) to have them diagnose it.

Good luck.

4. Stefuhknee

Stefuhknee New Member

-I told my father i thought it may be the fuel pump and he looked at me funny. The last place ive brought it to said that they dont believe it is ( whatever)

-from what i understand this fuel whatever valve thing did was regukate the fow of fuel to the engine or whatever? Like i guess mine had a hole in it and my engine was pretty much drowing in fuel and caused... lack of start, black clouds of smoke, stalling all the time. that part got replaced months ago and i havent had any problems with all that.

-we thought the stuff they were doing helped. and then 2-3 weeks later without fail randomly it'll just not tart. lately itll start , stall out within 5 secs and not start again for hours. usually if it is humid, gross humid, but not always.

- we were going to bring it to the dealership in july. we called the first week of the month. they couldnt get us in until july 29th or something crazy and by that point we had the crank sensor box replaced and it was running great so we canceled.. my fathe didnt want to spend 95$+ and hour if" nothing was wrong"

that leaves me where i am. i really love this car but im getting so fraustrated. this is the nicest car ive owned.. nd it runs the worst out of everything. i would never had gotten rid of my previous car had the headgasket not gone ...but man :/ thanks for the help to the two of you.

5. slowbmw

slowbmw New Member

wwww.bimmerforums.com

you are not getting either fuel or spark. i am going to go ahead and rule out spark, b/c it is not something that randomly works.

go to the e30 section.