1987 Supra trubo

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Clix, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Clix

Clix New Member

Tomarrow im going to look at a 87 supra turbo. Is their anything in perticular I should be weary of when I go and look at it? I've talked to the guy who is selling it a couple of times and he says hes had a mechanic look over it and only found a vacuum leak and the timing belt needs to be changed, which the reason I wasnt able to look at it today was he was having the belt replaced and car serviced. Id appriciate all the help you can give me :bigthumb:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

have another mechanic look it over. Usually you can tell them you're looking at buying it, and would like a head-to-toe check on the vehicle. $40 usually covers it, and will give you good piece of mind knowing in advance what has to be done (no used car is perfect)

In the limited experience working on my friends supra, we had problems with exhaust leaks, head gasket, radiator hoses, and a BIG problem with loose steering. Make sure you check the steering!

3. Clix

Clix New Member

I ended up buying the car. The interior is :greddy: with the dask mssing a 3" x 3" peice of it above the drivers side. The passenger side is ripped and the back seat just looks faded but I guess a 17 year old car that would happen. 160k Miles on the car. Engine runs very strong and so does the turbo so for the 1300 I spent on it I think it was worth it to fix it up some. It gots the targa top and power everything pertty much all the features so it will be fun. :x:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

does the targa top creek when you take turns? My friends did that... pissed us both off enough to where we left the top off almost all the time :)

congrats on the purchase. Definitely a fun drive.

5. mattsmall

mattsmall New Member

very much worth it. hit up supraforums for more info on your car. your going to want more power sooner or later.

6. Clix

Clix New Member

I didnt hear it creak but the targa top has got to be redone. Part of the underside is comeing off. It might be a simople fix but I havent looked at it enough yet. I'm more or less busy this weekend so come monday I will start to tear her apart and find all that is wrong :p

7. LuMpY

LuMpY New Member

Nice buy. They can be a lot of fun. I'm on my second one. I had an 87t now I have the 88t. I'd say check out supraforums.com as well there's a few other sites too, but there's a lot of info and links from there. Have fun!

8. Clix

Clix New Member

Yeah i;ve been just browsing the forums and found out 2-3 easy fixes to my car that i found just by driving it.

9. mk3

mk3 77 PPTA

beware of the blown head gasket...

there are 2 types of mkIII supras, those that have had a BHG, and those that will get a BHG...

10. Clix

Clix New Member

Yeah I know. I'm having my g/fs dad mechanic rebuild the engine completely and put in an aftermarket head.

11. Clix

Clix New Member

Hey I got some pics of my supra on my computer. Took them after I bought the car and before I took it home. Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005