1986 volvo 240 - help pls =)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by zskillz, Apr 22, 2006.

1. zskillz

zskillz you don't like it??.... L.M.B.

Ok guys --
    I'm new to posting in anything but the off-topic forum, so if this is in the wrong place, I'm sorry (and mods please move it wherever it belongs).

I have a 1986 volvo sedan that's been giving me some problems lately. Here's the short of it. any time that my car is on an incline (in either direction, but more often when going uphill), it seems as if the car just totally runs out of gas -- the engine starts shuddering and the car usually dies. As long as the car is level, this isn't a problem. I know very little about cars, but I'd like to learn some stuff and this doesn't seem like it's going to be a huge problem to fix.

ideas? fuel pump?

any help is appreciated.
    thanks
    -Z

2. boostdemon

boostdemon New Member

Does it happen when the tank is full?
    Theres an in-tank transfer pump twisted into the top of the tank. You can get to it by taking off the plate behind the seat under the carpet in the trunk. Theres a little hose that connects the pump to the assembly that if its got a hole in it you'll starve the fuel when it can suck up air.

3. zskillz

zskillz you don't like it??.... L.M.B.

actually - i think i've narrowed it down a bit more -- I believe that the problem is with the "fuse engine control" (which is not particularly descriptive) - basically, when the thing dies, I just open the hood and jiggle the wire that connects to the spark plugs (i think that's what they are). then it starts right up.

and - it turns out that the car definitely does better when it has a full tank of gas, so it's posssible that I have more than one problem.

thanks
    -Z